Windows ME questions

edited March 2013 in Hardware
which browsers can be run on windows ME? other than MSIE 6 (which doesn't work on my system), i can't get the computer to be updated. any suggestions?

Comments

• Firefox 3.0 was the last version of firefox (off the top of my head) that supported 2k/ME. That would work decently, however supposedly Opera works fine there. If neither work, try using K-melon, its the same engine as firefox but with the ui of earlier versions.
  • I'd recommend Opera 10.63. Runs great on Win9x, and transparency should work OK with WinME. You could also try Opera 11 with KernelEx, but it's less stable.
  • Well, I had installed KernalEX on that computer, but it was causing explorer to be inoperable, so, I had to uninstall it in safe mode. as far as I can tell, the only real issue I'm having with using MSIE 6 is with windows update. I assume that is because the clock battery is dead, but I don't know how to replace it... would a new battery fix the Windows Update issue?
  • well windows update doesn't work anymore for win 9x and windows me and windows nt 4. Microsoft made sure no one can update those version of windows so people have to go to the new version. go here for stuff on windows updates viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5969 . hope this helps.
  • nikkigreg1974 is right; however, it'd be a good idea to replace the battery anyway. First write down your BIOS settings if there was anything important in them, and then replace the battery. (Open the case, use the clip to remove the circular battery, and put in a new one. The battery type is a CR2032. You can find them in a bunch of random household electronics, or get some for about $2 each.)
  • With windows updates... maybe try http://windizupdate.com/

I haven't used it in a while but it used to be very good.
    Its basically a smarter windows update without needing IE
  • is it even worth using that computer anymore?
  • In my opinion, it is. It works just fine. I can use it to perform basic tasks, like web browsing and OpenOffice. It is somewhat limited in functionality but I like to use computers to their full potential, so in a way I feel better when I'm utilizing the full extent of its processing power.
  • Old computers just frustrate me now a days. In my mind, I've already used them to their full potential. That's why I upgraded in the first place.
  • yeah you're right. If I'd owned all of them all along I'd probably have gotten rid of them at some point. But once they're working I don't mind having them just, for the sake of having them :P

Well and it's not really old computers in general, I just like that era of beige boxes in the mid-late 90s. The Wintel/Win9x era, I liked a lot. Not sure why, I just like those pixelated icons of the Win9x UI, and the accompanying hardware, before 1GHz+ single-cores, and later, multi-core CPUs.
  • I understand. I guess it's because I grew up in those days, but I still have multiple Pentium 2/3/Duron/Athlon systems lying around in my closet. Every once in a while I'll bring one out, power it up, and a tear will form in the corner of my eye as that old, worn out hard drive begins to whine, pop and snap as it spins up and loads Windows 98 or 2000. It's truly a beautiful sight to see something still running after all of these years of abuse.

But would I take it before my G620? Fuck no. Would I take it even before my two thrift store systems, a Pentium 4 and Athlon 64 3500+? Oh hell no. Anything before a Pentium 4 is almost unusable for daily use imo, especially if you browse the internet. :|
  • IMO even P4 systems aren't that usable anymore. I've been turning down equipment at work that doesn't have at least a Core 2 (or equivalent AMD) in it. The performance gains and heat output reduction are too great to ignore.
  • P4's can still be useful, but I don't want any more of them. I have enough.
  • If I *really* want for some perverse reason to run old as shit software I'll run it in a VM instead of fucking around with some useless unreliable slow machine that takes up too much room.
  • Slow? Yes. Oh god yes... I couldn't stand a 486 when I moved to a 300 Mhz AMD K6-2, let alone now that I have a quad core phenom. Even a P4 is painfully slow.

Reliable? Not so sure about that one. Those old systems seem to be made rather well and it's amazing that some of them still run about as well as they did when they were new. Not to say they're more reliable than new systems, but those new systems aren't really old enough to say for sure. I mean, my P4 is still running as smooth as ever.
  • I found that older systems did break an awful lot. HOWEVER, they were a hell of a lot easier to fix.
  • I don't mind P4's, they're still on the edge of usefulness, provided they have about 1 GB of RAM and a fairly decent graphics card.

I liked those Pentium IIs though. Slot loading CPUs, while inefficient for heat dissipation, were pretty awesome for PC builders and the like. Having a cartridge-based CPU design I found really cool, that way I can actually swap them between motherboards without worrying about bent pins, and especially having to clean off the TIM with isopropyl and reapply it each time. Now granted it would be a pain to replace the TIM on a Slot 1 CPU. I don't even know how to put them back together, I think you have to break the little plastic pins that hold it together :P
  • noone wrote:
    Firefox 3.0 was the last version of firefox (off the top of my head) that supported 2k/ME. That would work decently, however supposedly Opera works fine there. If neither work, try using K-melon, its the same engine as firefox but with the ui of earlier versions.

I got only Firefox 2 running on ME, and with that it looks like the last s***.

So i recommend Opera 10.63.
  • BOD wrote:
    I found that older systems did break an awful lot. HOWEVER, they were a hell of a lot easier to fix.

I've never had any of my older systems really break. It's usually just the OS if anything, and anything newer than WIndows 2000 is rock solid.

Hell, I have on old 486 that still runs, and I WAS using it for DOS games. (Although I think m 5x86 ight take it's place now)
  • Yeah, I noticed that my aunt's old dell P4 machine can barely run xp without making an annoying high pitched fan noise (it sounds like it could explode any day now!) it sometimes runs so hard that it causes the entire computer desk to vibrate... I guess these P4 PCs need to be recycled... thanks for the help guys!
  • why the fuck are you digging up old topics? either post new or the *door* is overicsson their *points*
  • "&#91 wrote: »
    "]why the fuck are you digging up old topics? either post new or the *door* is overicsson their *points*

Leave that to the staff =)
  • Opera and Firefox, but I recommend you: Do not use IE6