-Year: 1999

Motherboard
-Brand: Dell
-Model: IDK
-Year: 1997
-CPU: P3 (450Mhz)
-RAM: 256MB (PC-133)
-BIOS year: 1998
-Video (built-in): ATI RAGE TURBO Pro AGP 2X (1995)
-Sound (built-in): Crystal WDM (199x)
-USB: 2 ports (damaged)

Drives
-HDD: IDE 160GB Seagate HDD
-CD: IDE ASUS CD Burner

Expansion Cards
-ISA Slots: 3
-PCI Slots: 3
-PCI Card(s):
-USB 2.0 Interface Card (1)(2009)

Software
-Official drivers:
-ATI RAGE TURBO Pro AGP 2X (from ATI)(XP)

Future
-PCI SATA Interface card
-SATA HDD
-SATA DVD Burner
-faster P3 CPU
-512MB RAM (can be found on tigerdirect)

Question
=======

Where can i get a cpu upgrade because i need my cpu to run faster? I want it at least 600Mhz.

This is not my oldest pc running

Comments

you seriously need us to do such basic internetting for you? if you insist, http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_s ... Slot%25201

ADD: since I don't think you'll ever put two and two together, let me just state it now, this....., will allow you to also use some of these
  • Just as an FYI.

If I remember correctly the ATi Rage Pro Turbo AGP 2x model came into exsistance around '98 and the original AGP was very late 96 to mid 97.

Just to ask is this your main computer? I don't see the point in chucking too much money at it if not. The RAM and CPU can be had on ebay these days for nothing, especially if you get a socket 375 adaptor as stitch gave the links to, I have around a dozen various P3's in that format. PC133 or even 100 SDRAM can be bought by the bucket loads.

Upgrading the system to a SATA based system seems like a waste of cash unless you already have the bits lying around doing nothing, imo.
  • Upgrading the system to a SATA based system seems like a waste of cash unless you already have the bits lying around doing nothing, imo.

I agree. Definitely don't spend too much money on it, because you may just be able to buy a whole new system for less money and frustration than trying to upgrade your current system.

Unless you just want the learning experience, in which case, it's your money, go for it.
  • @Lupinthe3rd: No it's not my main pc. Also my P3 is a slot 1 type CPU.

I do plan to upgrade my current pc though.
  • here a link to dell about the pc with the cpu it can handle and everything else you need to now about it! http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/s ... /specs.htm
  • As stitch gave the link the Slot 1 adaptor will allow you to run some of the PGA370 chips as opposed to buying a slot 1 CPU. Although you could buy one if you get it cheap enough.
  • It's all like ~$20 anyway and even then it's still more than dontabandonme's $5/month allowance or whatever.,
  • I have the exact motherboard from this computer in my box of useless motherboards. I have its CPU, though 500 MHz, as a desk ornament. And a Socket 360 PIII next to it. Just amusing to reflect on...

anyway, what are you trying to update this for? With its current specs it should run Win9x just fine, which is about as much joy you'll get out of it anyway. I like that era of PCs too, but it's not really worth upgrading. If you think you're going to get it to run XP, it's not a great idea. If you want a cheap XP computer, look for something like this. That seller sells those GX260s and 270s all the time for pretty cheap, and that will be like 3 times the speed of your P3.

If you want the P3 for sentimental purposes, then leave it as what it is - a 450 MHz P3.

Without the slocket adapter, however, you can still get a ~600-650 MHz Slot 1 P3, for cheap. Go to a computer recycling center. I guarantee you you'll find one for free.

edit: the GX260 was a bad example, I realize, but still you can get a lower-end P4 for next to nothing these days.
  • I used a fresh XP Pro SP3 disc and it runs great on my P3.