AT&T Phone service

edited April 2012 in Hardware
My uncle came over this morning. He said there was static in his phone line and asked me to come check it. I checked both phones and there was static. I called the 611 repair service. They ran a check on the line and said it was not in there network and it could be inside and asked if it was on all lines and I said yes. They said a service call would be $85.00 because he did not have a $8.00 wireing plan. He told me to go ahead and call it in. Then he called

and said the static had stopped. I told him that I still heard it and I asked if he heard it and he said yes. He still said go ahead and cancel it. He really don't want to pay $85.00 and I do agree that is alot. I think they should give him a senior discount. He is on a fixed income and maybe can't strech an extra $8.00 a month. The thing is the older people think like they pay there bill and they feel like they should not have to pay extra. I can understand how he

feels. I asked when I called if there was a way out of the $85.00 and they said to get the $8.00 a month maintance plan. They stick everything in they can to make money I guess. But seniors should get a discount or just get the maintiance plan free.

Comments

• The wiring inside the house/trailer has always been the customer's responsibility since the mid-80's. This is nothing new. You don't have to have AT&T fix this issue, you can probably call a local Electrician and see if they'll make the repair cheaper.

That said if the house/trailer is modern you should have a network interface box on the back where the line comes in. This is the point where responsibility of the line changes. There's more than likely a jack in there as well probably with a wire plugged in going to the house. Unplug this and plug a non-powered (ie: non-cordless) phone in and test for static. If you get static here, there's probably a line problem on the AT&T side of things that should be fixed by them for free.

He could always just ditch the landline and go cell phone only.
  • As stitch said, the box on the side of the house is a demarcation point between your network and theirs. Make sure you test with a known good phone as the source of the static could be the phone itself.

This isn't the ma bell days where the telephone repair man would take care of everything for you. Either you do it yourself or you pay someone else to do it for you.
  • BlueSun wrote:
    As stitch said, the box on the side of the house is a demarcation point between your network and theirs. Make sure you test with a known good phone as the source of the static could be the phone itself.

This isn't the ma bell days where the telephone repair man would take care of everything for you. Either you do it yourself or you pay someone else to do it for you.

That's pretty much what its like in Aussieland and has been for years .. Telstra own all the 'lines' and they only cover from the exchange up until the line enters the property (also a box on the wall outside for new installs)

Past that point you need a private, licenced(!) person to deal with your wiring. Especially since Telstra's copper will eventually be ripped up (thanks National Broadband Network, I think), they care less and less each day. So its not an att/US only thing
  • BlueSun wrote:
    As stitch said, the box on the side of the house is a demarcation point between your network and theirs. Make sure you test with a known good phone as the source of the static could be the phone itself.

There are like 3 wires running from the box that goes inside the house. But he only has 2 phones. A cordless and a regular phone. I suggest to him about getting someone to fix it.
  • If they all connect to a single demarc jack, then there's another jack hidden somewhere in the house, or his house wiring is really screwed up. Both are equally likely.
This discussion has been closed.