HPFS file system

edited May 2012 in Software
I have a 6gb hard drive that i like to format to hpfs for os/2 warp 4. is there a disk out there that will format it to hpfs. if you try to do it with os/2 warp install disk wants to format to fat first. And fat only supports up to 2gb. So it want to break it up to 3 2gb parts. But i want to use the whole disk. There must be a disk out there that will format to hpfs.

Comments

• I believe CFDISK will let you. I'll have to look again.
  • i look all over the internet last night and the ones that will let you format to hpfs you have to pay for.
  • Does OS/2 follow the NT model of first formatting to FAT then converting to HPFS? If so, could you make the 2GB FAT partition, then after the OS is installed create a separate HPFS partition for the remaining 4?

Have you tried using a partition editor to create a 6GB primary partition, setting its type to NTFS/HPFS (0x07), and pointing the OS/2 installer at that for formatting?
  • I'm not very familiar with HPFS and OS/2, but can't you just let it create a FAT partition first, convert it to HPFS and then extend the volume?

Or is the issue that you don't know which program to use in order to accomplish that?
  • I want to format the whole drive to hpfs. I look for programs to do that but there seem to be no free ones none anymore. The one i do find you have to pay for them. So i been looking everyday for a program to do it. The program on the warp 4 cd formats to fat first them converts it to hpfs just like windows nt4 does. If the drive is bigger then 2gb it can't format the drive. so i keep looking here got to be program out there.
  • I remember the Slackware installer partitioning tool having the ability.
  • Yeah, as Josh and nightice have suggested, trying making the partition in Linux.

Linux is, of course, free. Take your pick from any of the dozen or so live CD's out there.
  • Well i found out how to format it to hpfs. I can use ibm pc-dos 2000 to format my disk to hpfs. There format program will format hpfs or fat. I read up on it online. So now i got a pc-dos bootdisk and i going to give it a try later. :D