How to use fixes.img in Janus 034e?

edited May 2012 in Software
Hi WinWorld,
I just downloaded Windows 3.1 build 034e from your FTP. It installs perfectly until inserting the fifth disk, when it freezes. So for what do i use and how do i use the fixes.img file?

Comments

• When you say "build 034e" are you referring to a beta build of Win31? That's what it sounds like, in which case I am pretty inexperienced on the matter. Just out of curiosity, why do you want to run Win31 beta? (And give some context, are you running it in a VM or actually trying to install on like a 486?)

That way we can help you better. I don't know what "fixes.img" file you're referring to, maybe someone else here can help provided some context...
  • In all honesty I've never touched the damn thing in my life.
  • Mount it in Winimage and explore it? See what's there?
  • Mount it in Winimage and explore it? See what's there?

It has Progman.exe, .grp files and Progman.w31 (??), and of course ini files.
    It's the beta of Windows 3.1 Of course.
    The 7z file has:
    6 disks
    and the fixes diskette.
    Now what is the fixes diskette used for?
    Progman and .grp files wouldn't be copied after putting in the Disk 5.
    I thought that i would use: copy *.* C:\windows, but it didn't help, it froze at the boot screen.
  • gdea73 wrote:
    When you say "build 034e" are you referring to a beta build of Win31? That's what it sounds like, in which case I am pretty inexperienced on the matter. Just out of curiosity, why do you want to run Win31 beta? (And give some context, are you running it in a VM or actually trying to install on like a 486?)

That way we can help you better. I don't know what "fixes.img" file you're referring to, maybe someone else here can help provided some context...

This beta was installed in VPC2004, allocated 4 Mb of RAM, a 2 GB disk (FAT16), DOS 7.10.
    I tried this a couple of times, it was uninstallable.
  • Try it with MS-DOS 6.22. DOS 7 breaks some things.