mac os 9.1

edited September 2012 in Software
I need help with the mac OS 9.1 ISO i am trying to burn it with power ISO and mac power mac g3 will not boot from it can somebody please help me i would really appreciated :?.

Comments

• If you are trying to burn the CD using an ISO-9660 image burner such as PowerISO, it will not work since the Mac OS 9.1.iso doesn't actually have the standard ISO-9660 Filesystem with a Master Boot Record for booting, it has the proprietary Macintosh CD Filesystem in an Apple Partition Map referencing the boot code in the filesystem. You have to use a tool such as Roxio Toast 5 Titanium (although if you don't already have Mac OS 8.5 or later on your Power Macintosh G3, this won't work for you) for burning such disc images.
  • i do have mac os on it but i do have Roxio Toast 5 Titanium but when i open it closes in a couple seconds.
  • I've never had any problems burning Mac OS ISOs with Windows.

Even with the standard disc burner. :|
  • macman9.1 wrote:
    I need help with the mac OS 9.1 ISO i am trying to burn it with power ISO and mac power mac g3 will not boot from it can somebody please help me i would really appreciated :?.
    macman9.1 wrote:
    i do have mac os on it but i do have Roxio Toast 5 Titanium but when i open it closes in a couple seconds.

What exact version of Mac OS do you have on your Power Macintosh G3? If it's 8.5 you may just have to install the Mac OS 8.5 => 8.5.1 and Mac OS 8.5.1 ==> 8.6 updates for Roxio Toast 5 Titanium to work, but if it's 8.1 Toast 5 Titanium will not work, as I said before.

If you still can't use Toast 5 Titanium, then what do you really mean by "mac power mac g3 will not boot from it"? Does your Power Macintosh G3 just skip to booting from it's hard drive instead of the Mac OS 9.1 CD you burned using PowerISO even when you hold the "c" key after you press the power button or does the Power Macintosh G3 display a specific error message (eg. "The system software on the startup disk only functions on the original media, not if copied to another drive.")? If your Power Macintosh G3 just skips to booting from it's hard drive instead, have you tried holding the ⌘⌥OF keys after pressing the power button and then entering "boot cd:,\\:tbxi"
  • i have mac OS x 10.4.11 i have three hard drives and one is a 6 gig and it is empty its a power mac g3 B&W.
  • macman9.1 wrote:
    i have mac OS x 10.4.11 i have three hard drives and one is a 6 gig and it is empty its a power mac g3 B&W.

Mac OS X... then you can easily copy the Mac OS 9.1 ISO to your Power Mac G3 over a network, insert a blank CD into it, use Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility) to burn the Macintosh CD image to the blank CD and reboot. Only caveats may be having to rename the .iso to .cdr for Disk Utility to let you use the CD image (and I guess you want to install Mac OS 9.1 on your Power Mac G3 to get Classic to work).

If you still can't get a CD that the Power Mac G3 will boot from, then what do you really mean by saying "mac power mac g3 will not boot from it"?
  • i have another problem it says that the image failed to mount error 0xe00002c9 or it says operation timed out
  • Then for the complicated solution:

Disconnect all external disks and insert a blank CD in the Power Mac G3's CD drive. Then open Terminal on your Power Mac G3 and...

If your Power Mac G3 only has one hard drive and a CD drive (as in most cases), just go ahead with
    $ dd if="~\Desktop\macos_91_ppc.iso" of=/dev/rdisk1

Otherwise, enter the command
    $ df

and reply to me with the output of the command.