Java....

edited August 2012 in Software
I would like it to be known (not that this isn't obvious) that Java is absolute crap. The whole theory behind "client-side" dependencies is absurd. Aside from the fact that the whole support/upgrade mindset is flawed, I have always had a really bad time with any type of UI designed in Java.

Some of you may ask "why" I am making this somewhat random rant about the platform. I'll tell you why. I spent the past 3 hours working getting the right combination of Java and IE in a VM so that I can get into a Cisco ONS chassis during a crisis. Now mind you, part of this I can blame on Cisco for not keeping/implementing a way to have their product operate outside of the restrictions of Java in an emergency scenario.Rregardless though, If I didn't have to deal with the way Java was designed, I wouldn't have been in that boat.

What are your experiences? I also have a Java programming class coming up here soon.... I wonder what it's like on the dev side....

Comments

• Java has some (very very partial) similarities in some syntax with other languages, however from programming with java for a while, I feel like I type much more for a java program than I would for a similar basic C or python application.
    Most of the programming I do however is for basic calculations and simulations and not very complex, so I guess my opinion shouldn't really matter much.
  • I've never really had any issues with Java. I really wasn't a fan at first and I wouldn't call myself a fan now, but I don't hate it.

I also took a Java programming class and it was ok, but noone is right, it took more code to do things in Java than it would have in other languages. It definitely wouldn't be my first language choice to write something in.
  • Java's client software alone needs to die a painful death.