OS9 Bad copy (9.0.4)

edited April 2013 in Site Issues
I tried running the Mac OS 9.0.4 iso in SheepShaver. I got an error from Mac OS saying "The system software on the startup disk only functions on the original media, not if copied to another drive." Obviously this is a bad copy.

Comments

• i find that most of the isos in this site are corrupted
  • Redownload the iso. I downloaded it some time ago and it worked fine on my old ibook.
  • Most of these corruption issues are likely due to people using a crappy extraction utility instead of a recent version of 7-Zip as suggested on every download page. As noone suggested, it's also possible the corruption occurred while downloading.

We use the highest possible level of compression in 7-Zip when archiving software to save bandwidth and space, both server and client side. It's possible other utilities might not handle large heavily compressed 7z files perfectly.

That's not to say there aren't any corrupted files on the server, we simply don't have the time or ability to test every single file.
  • i have the latest 7zip cuz i cant afford winrar and i could test these files for you
  • They make you pay for WinRAR now? Last I used it it just nagged you to buy it when the application started but it didn't stop working or anythomg.
  • yep its now $19.99 after 20-day trial,there is a way around but i dont like to mess with DLLS unless i have to
  • Well, I mean, if you have a "rarreg.key" from a ... source, you don't need your own license for WinRAR. In my case, a site I was involved with purchased a site-wide license, and that's how I got one.
  • jonminkin wrote:
    I tried running the Mac OS 9.0.4 iso in SheepShaver. I got an error from Mac OS saying "The system software on the startup disk only functions on the original media, not if copied to another drive." Obviously this is a bad copy.

"The system software on the startup disk only functions on the original media, not if copied to another drive." is just the common error I used to get in SheepShaver. WinWorldPC does not have a bad copy of the .iso, as I know that it works when you burn the .iso to a CD using Roxio Toast and boot from it on a real PowerPC-based Macintosh.

Does removing the .iso from the volumes list and typing the .iso file name in the "CD-ROM Drive" field work?

(I think I've found this similar thread to "How do I use ISO files in Basilisk II build 142?")
  • Lock the file from Finder if you're using Mac OS X.