ISO win 98 install

edited October 2012 in Software
Hello, I have a couple of vintage systems and decided to throw on win 98 on one of them for run. With a freshly formated HD, I changed to boot from CD in bios. placed OS cd in cd drive and get message bootmgr is missing.

I thought 98 could boot off the CD, It's been awhile and I wanted to go back in time :)

what am I doing wrong? Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Have you burnt the cd correctly would be the first question. I can't remember if Win98 can boot form CD however Win98SE can.
  • If this is a CD from us please provide the direct download URL of the disc you used.
  • I used this one first

http://wdl2.winworldpc.com/Abandonware% ... Edition.7z

I downloaded and then burnt the ISO image onto disc. I didn't do anything in between. I loaded it onto win 7 to make sure files etc all burnt correctly which it did. Loaded into the old system and nothing. Cant find bootmgr is the message.
  • Have you checked the boot order in the BIOS, made sure that it's trying the CD first?
  • BlueSun wrote:
    Have you checked the boot order in the BIOS, made sure that it's trying the CD first?

Yes, Changed boot order. It appears it isn't reading the CD at all and then looking for the bootmgr on the HD. Most odd.

Is it possible, to plug in the IDE HD into my new system, and try to install win98 under win7 environment.

EDIT:
    Just had a brain fart idea.

Could I do the above on my new system from bootup, load up win 98 onto the IDE HD and then unplug it and plug it into the old system or is the hardware environment critical while windows loads?
  • What you could do is format the hard drive as FAT32 under Windows 7 and copy the install files to a directory on the hard drive. Then all you would need is a dos boot disk to start up the system and run the installer.

Or if you don't have / can't make a DOS boot disk, and your new system will boot from the CD, unplug all other hard drives and connect the hard drive from the old system so that it is the only hard drive connected. Then when you boot from the 98 CD, choose the command prompt option and run the command: sys c:\

Then the drive should be bootable. So disconnect it from the new system and reconnect it on the old system. It should boot into DOS and you can run the installer from there.
  • BlueSun wrote:
    What you could do is format the hard drive as FAT32 under Windows 7 and copy the install files to a directory on the hard drive. Then all you would need is a dos boot disk to start up the system and run the installer.

Or if you don't have / can't make a DOS boot disk, and your new system will boot from the CD, unplug all other hard drives and connect the hard drive from the old system so that it is the only hard drive connected. Then when you boot from the 98 CD, choose the command prompt option and run the command: sys c:\

Then the drive should be bootable. So disconnect it from the new system and reconnect it on the old system. It should boot into DOS and you can run the installer from there.

Thankyou, I will give option 2 a run and give you an update.
  • Command prompt directory not found or invalid address. This is what i get when typing in command: sys:c\
  • sys c:\ not sys:c\
  • BlueSun wrote:
    sys c:\ not sys:c\

Ok cheers.

I got it sorted, it didnt matter what I did as the dvd drive was faulty in the old system.

It was recognized in bios and windows but will not read any data. Anyway all installed and thank you very much for helping.