i was downloading.....

edited November 2012 in Hardware
i downloaded the NeXT operating system because i wanted to see steve jobs design after he left apple in 1997-2002 in that time he created NeXT [witch was later bought by apple] anyhoo i cannot for the life of me figure out how to run it in Virtual Box
any ideas how i could get it working? [tried google,nothing going nobody even haves next os for download cept you]

Comments

• I am not extremely familiar with NeXT operating system, but according to Wikipedia, it came for multiple platforms:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NeXT#1993. ... T_Software

VirtualBox is capable of x86 and\or x64 virtualization depending on your platform. The version for Intel may work, but it looks like NeXT might have had some unique hardware, based on PA-RISC and SPARC processor architectures. If this is the architecture of the file you have, I wouldn't expect it to run in VirtualBox.
  • any ideas i tried vmware and minimac and VMplayer nothing
  • any ideas i tried vmware and minimac and VMplayer nothing

To run the non-x86\64 OS on your x86\64 computer, you need an emulator for PA-RISC or SPARC CPUs (whichever the software needs). This is similar to running a NES emulator to play NES games on your computer, etc. Normal virutalization softwares likes VMware and VirtualBox are not going to do this for you.

Either get an emulator that's compatible with the software, or get an x86 version of NeXT (if one exists) and run that copy.

Kirk
  • NeXT hardware was Motorola 68k based and I doubt there's an emulator out there that can emulate enough of a NeXT machine/firmware to be bootable. There was an OpenStep release cross-compiled for Intel processors and that would be your best bet. Rhapsody (what OpenStep was turned into after the Apple buyout) generally doesn't work on anything newer than Connectix Virtual PC 4-5 for the Intel builds.
  • I've successfully run an Intel build of either NextStep or OpenStep (3 or 4, I think) in Bochs before. IIRC you need to pick some very specific hardware and CPU emulation.