How to install old windows.

edited November 2012 in Software
Hi i have got really newbie question, i want to install old version of windows for example windows 1.02, what program i need to do this in virtual environment, a specially what program i need to open ".img" files couse i download "magic disc" and it is not working. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• VirtualBox, Virtual PC and VMWare should all handle the tasks. All three will accept the .img files through their floppy mount options. If you want to browse the .img files without installing, WinImage will handle that. Grab an old version of DOS prior to installing.
  • stitch wrote:
    VirtualBox, Virtual PC and VMWare should all handle the tasks. All three will accept the .img files through their floppy mount options. If you want to browse the .img files without installing, WinImage will handle that. Grab an old version of DOS prior to installing.

Thank you for your answer. I download VMware 8.0, and create virtual machine, configurate that will be operation system - DOS, then when it starts i input floppy image from (Abandonware Operating Systems/PC/DOS/Microsoft/ -Winworld library) Microsoft DOS 1.12 but i get communique
    PXE-E53: No boot filename recived
    PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE Rom
    Operation system not found

what i do wrong? Is there some kind of tutorials? Im also saw dos from (Abandonware Operating Systems/Virtual Machines/Microsoft Windows/) and download Microsoft MS-DOS 5.0 VHD but Vmware cant open it :(

Danton
  • The VMWare BIOS is not configured to boot from the floppy drive. Enter it and check the boot order.
  • stitch wrote:
    The VMWare BIOS is not configured to boot from the floppy drive. Enter it and check the boot order.

Problem is solved, i will write how progress is going. Right now i run dos and will be instaling windows. Thanks for your help :)
  • Right now i have got problem with hdd, simply i cannot locate my disc. First i run dos from floppy so im on A: after this i change floppy for windows and i run setup and then im stuck couse i cant give location to install. Any advice?
  • A screenshot of how you configured the hard disk in the virtual machine would be helpful.....

Should be under 1GB, on an IDE bus (not SCSI).
  • stitch wrote:
    A screenshot of how you configured the hard disk in the virtual machine would be helpful.....

Should be under 1GB, on an IDE bus (not SCSI).

my hardware specification
    2qlv3ts.jpg

im worry about this:
    124ezb8.jpg

i think the problem could be in this that when i create virtual machine i choose option to install system later, maybe this occasion the hdd is not prepare.

And here is all steps i made:

1. Run Vm and load Dos to floppy(dos 6.22) then i restart...
    in5szq.jpg

2. I change floppy to windows (Microsoft Windows 3.1 (3.10.103), and run setup and have got this error:
    2q8sh2w.jpg
    changeing directory to any other manually isnt working.
  • Non-NT Windows always require at a minimum a partitioned and formatted hard disk available and pre-95 a functional DOS installation IIRC. For Windows 3.1:

1) fdisk c:, create primary partition; reboot
    2) format c: /s
    3) Install DOS
    4) Install Windows
  • nightice wrote:
    Non-NT Windows always require at a minimum a partitioned and formatted hard disk available and pre-95 a functional DOS installation IIRC. For Windows 3.1:

1) fdisk c:, create primary partition; reboot
    2) format c: /s
    3) Install DOS
    4) Install Windows

Thank you now is working fine :)