what should i do with my HP A1709N

edited February 2013 in Hardware
Hi, I have another issue with one of my HP computers. since my HP 740N stopped functioning properly, I started using my sister's old A1709N. every time I start it up into windows Vista, it takes forever to start up. I ran the performance module that is built into vista for a hardware review, and it came back with several major issues. first of all, windows is no longer able to access all 1024 MB of RAM installed, just 894 MB. secondly, it stated that the hard drive was not fast enough to run vista (something about slack 7? i'm not exactly sure what it meant). The only visible issue that I noticed with that hard drive is that it is most likely using SCSI, and as far as I can remember, SCSI devices haven't existed since the first iMacs came out, but I could be wrong about that... finally, whenever I go into the Task Manager, I have noticed that there is one system process that uses up tons of my system's RAM, and I can't remember the exact file name, but I do remember that when I viewed what processes used that application, Windows Update was one of the 4 system processes using that instance... which would explain why its always running above 100,000 K when i try updating vista.

So, i guess what I am asking here is simple... is this computer even worth trying to fix, or should I just recycle it? I'm tempted to recycle it, but only if I could get my 740N running again... thanks!

Comments

• I don't have any real info to back this up, but I'm pretty sure anything that would run Vista and is a fairly normal home desktop PC would not use SCSI. Even in its day, it was used mainly in servers and high-end workstations due to its high cost.

If it were my PC, and 1GB RAM/Vista I'll guess a Core 2 Duo maybe, or a Core Duo, random guess really -- anyhow, I'd probably wipe the drive and install Ubuntu server, and use it as a file server.

If you have a decent network, it's always a convenience to have a random filesev we.
  • gdea73 wrote:
    I don't have any real info to back this up, but I'm pretty sure anything that would run Vista and is a fairly normal home desktop PC would not use SCSI. Even in its day, it was used mainly in servers and high-end workstations due to its high cost.

SAS has almost completely succeeded SCSI in that regard.
  • that's true, hence 'in its day.'
    most modern servers would indeed use SAS. most modern workstations I would assume just use SATA III SSDs.
  • http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/Te ... peId=12454

If those are the specs then it shouldn't have a SCSI setup.

As for the RAM, it's probably being used by the shard graphics. As for it being slow on Vista, if it is indeed the model I've listed to, then it'e because it's an old P4 system.
  • yup looks like an early Northwood box. It'd make a nice file server if you attach a larger hard drive.

or if it's the least useful thing you have, remove the motherboard and use it to test shib, that's what I do with P2s and such, they're perfectly useful for wiping HDs.
  • Lol, that was built back in the day before HP made complete shit.
  • before time? lol JK.