I just felt like throwing it out there..

2»

Comments

• If you want a working distro that's ubuntu based, without the bullshit try PinguyOS@ http://www.pinguyos.org
    WARNING:pinguy is better for higher-end systems, dont try installing this in a VM or an old laptop
  • iandun wrote:
    I know this is kind of late in the game but...
    Josh wrote:
    Sorry bro, need DirectX to convince me.

Josh I've had to deal with your stupidity too many times. You don't NEED Direct X to run games on Linux. Direct X is a windows specific multimedia library that aids game and multimedia application developers. There are replacements for Linux. For example, OpenGL replaces Direct 3D, SDL replaces Direct2D, OpenAL and gstreamer replaces DirectShow and so on.
    We aren't arguing *needs* here. I was merely stating I preference DirectX -- and thats what it would take for me to consider Linux seriously for gaming. I have had horrible, horrible experience with graphics cards in the past trying to tweak the OpenGL settings where on the same card under Windows DirectX worked great with no issues out of box. Now, we are talking GeForce MX440 days here so this may have improved over the years.
  • The deal with DirectX is that games are very complicated pieces of software and complex software often makes assumptions that are specific to the APIs it uses, even if those APIs are segmented off (this is why PC editions of recent games are terrible - because they all target consoles first and have to be bludgeoned into a Windows executable).

Will it really make business sense to rewrite everything for those other APIs? XBox is already DirectX-ish, Sony and Nintendo do their own things, why add in even more complexity?
  • If game developers would use the open source libraries above (the majority of them also work on Windows), then they wouldn't have to deal with porting applications to a different framework other than changing the Windows API specific code to X11 specific code. Josh, Direct X is NEVER coming to Linux, unless you count wine.
  • iandun wrote:
    Direct X is NEVER coming to Linux, unless you count wine.
    I wouldn't bet on that. I don't think anyone will bother making WINE support it.

And I don't need that junk software, anyway.
  • iandun wrote:
    If game developers would use the open source libraries above (the majority of them also work on Windows), then they wouldn't have to deal with porting applications to a different framework other than changing the Windows API specific code to X11 specific code. Josh, Direct X is NEVER coming to Linux, unless you count wine.
    Yeah didn't think so.
  • iandun wrote:
    If game developers would use the open source libraries above (the majority of them also work on Windows),
    And throw out years if not decades of experience?
    then they wouldn't have to deal with porting applications to a different framework other than changing the Windows API specific code to X11 specific code.
    Far harder than you think.
  • DirectX is fine, but I do prefer OpenGL. I always thought DirectX was considered the inferior library- I mean, for years, I remember programs having a DirectX and OpenGL version, and the OpenGL versions usually having better graphics/performing better than their D3D counterparts. WoW was my biggest example of this.

Also Iandun, Josh isn't stupid lol. -.-
  • DirectX is fine, but I do prefer OpenGL. I always thought DirectX was considered the inferior library- I mean, for years, I remember programs having a DirectX and OpenGL version, and the OpenGL versions usually having better graphics/performing better than their D3D counterparts. WoW was my biggest example of this.

It was the reverse of this in my experience. Usually the OpenGL version sucked and the DirectX was better.
  • I prefered Glide optimised games back the in day to be honest.
  • I've never needed to tweak any OpenGL settings on any of my previous Linux installs, though bear in mind that I generally prefer ATI/nvidia's drivers over the open source version, mostly to avoid the trainwreck that is Mesa. The Valve guys reported L4D2 on Linux+OpenGL had faster framerates than Windows+DirectX (although Windows+OpenGL smoked them both), though I'll believe this when I see it. IIRC the PS3 uses a subset of OpenGL.
  • Sony makes such a subset available but allegedly nobody uses it in production.

I'm willing to bet that L4D2 performed better on Linux because the entire OpenGL stack in Source is from scratch.
  • BlueSun wrote:
    There are some companies like Dell which do offer Linux as a choice for the OS
    freeDOS is Linux?
    Besides, that's only for select Optiplex systems. I just can't imagine Dell putting openSUSE or CrunchBang on a XPS 10.
    BlueSun wrote:
    as long as the solution to a problem on Linux begins with "open a terminal" it will NEVER, EVER be successful on the desktop as a mainstream OS.
    I unfortunately have to agree. Most people are too stupid to type correctly anywhere on the internet, that if the GUI came first, and the CLI came second, the CLI would never take off because people would be making so many n00bish answers.
  • keylar wrote:
    BlueSun wrote:
    There are some companies like Dell which do offer Linux as a choice for the OS
    freeDOS is Linux?
    Besides, that's only for select Optiplex systems. I just can't imagine Dell putting openSUSE or CrunchBang on a XPS 10.

They do, or at least they did at one point, offer Ubuntu on select systems.
  • The still do. Pretty sure it's offered on Inspirons notebooks too. Excellent machines, btw.
  • I've used CentOS, Fedora, SuSE, Arch, and probably others, but I generally just use Ubuntu out of laziness.

While it isn't perfect out of the box, it's the closest to a working installation out of the box. Unity is somewhat tolerable now.

The lack of applications used to bother me on Linux, now it rarely does. I would like to see OpenOffice / LibreOffice become actually good - let's be honest both can be a pain to work with at times, especially the PowerPoint crap.

The most frustrating aspect of Linux on desktops (or laptops) is shitty hardware support for video cards and the like. That still pisses me off, what with the Radeon HD 4000 series now on the "legacy" driver, so it's not maintained... AMD and Linux isn't a great option I've come to learn.
  • gdea73 wrote:
    AMD and Linux isn't a great option I've come to learn.

That's what I always thought, but I thought that Linux + nVidia were not so great either. (didn't Torvalds say "fuck you" to nVidia?)
  • BlueSun wrote:
    gdea73 wrote:
    AMD and Linux isn't a great option I've come to learn.

That's what I always thought, but I thought that Linux + nVidia were not so great either. (didn't Torvalds say "fuck you" to nVidia?)
    Yeah he did for the optimus chipsets that are in laptops (I have one in mine so I can't really use X decently in linux) that switch between an Intel chipset and an nvidia gpu for 3d graphics. Other than that, nvidia support is decent elsewhere.
  • I know nvidia and kubuntu work good together. If you go to additional drivers in system menu you can download the driver for nvidia. But ati video cards you can't. They install basic driver for ati video cards. I dual boot windows 7 and kubuntu 12.10 om my computer with nvidia card and my wife's computer i dual boot windows 8 and kubuntu 12.10 with a ati radon hd 3450 and it install basic driver for the card. You can download drivers from ati web site. But then you need to know how to install them from a terminal. Witch if you are a newbie and it pretty hard to understand it.