Dell Optiplex GX1, is it dead?

edited January 2013 in Hardware
Before Asking this I looked through multiple Google searches and no luck. So....

I need to be sure my Dell Optiplex GX1 works. I turn it on and it powers on okay, but nothing to be seen on either of my monitors. (both Monitors are Dell brand.)

Specs as of now:
-Intel Pentium III, 1.4Ghz (on a Socket 370 to Slot 1 card)
-Generic 128MB SDRAM
-No HDD
-No Floppy
-No CD/DVD
-8MB Onboard Ati Rage Pro AGP 2x and a 64MB PCI nVidia GeForce 4 MX4000

That is it. I only had it a couple months, and never failed on me before.

Comments

• I'm assuming you tested with *just* the onboard RAGE graphics and the CMOS cleared? It's been a long time since I've had GX1's and GX110's (sent a ton of them to the dump a long time ago) and they *should* be giving a beep code if the video is failing. Running it without memory should give you continuous long beeps to verify your speaker's working. I *think* the early GX series gave two short beeps in fast succession once it successfully completed POST, do you get that?
  • I have had a crapload of problems getting that specific PCI card to output video before the OS loaded. Some BIOS have a "PCI" option for video in the CMOS as well as a further option to select which slot to look for video on.
  • @stitch, I heard no beep by either of the things you told me to do.

@Josh: I've never had problem with that graphics card ever, but I removed it for now.

Anyways I am away for the next couple days so I have to wait to try anything else, but all suggestions are welcome.

EDIT: When I got it it had just the case with no frontplate and no side panel, motherboard, riser card, powersupply, and nothing else. Luckly I every other part and it worked fine until I took most of it apart. Then a few days ago I reinserted the CPU and RAM along with the graphics card and that is when this happened.

EDIT2: The only problems I had with that graphics card is: 1) Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit won't work with it on one of my Monitors 2) Need for Speed: High Stakes refuses to recognize it.
  • Try and get a POST card, and look up the error code it gives, if any.
  • A POST Card?????
  • Yes, a POST card: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POST_card.

It looks like this:

POST_card_3usd.jpg
  • What does it do? Will it work? My PC barely turns on.
  • It's basically an add-on board which has one or several visual and or audiable means of information relating to computer boot issues.

If youre PC is barely turning on, have you tried using an actual Slot 1 CPU? The adaptors work just fine but it wouldn't hurt to use a native chip, just to rule out either a faulty adaptor board or even a not properly seated card.