Installing Microsoft Word 95

edited January 2013 in Software
I am new to installing this type of software. How do I install the .img files to make the program work as it should. I like the old software programs because they were smaller and simple to use. I would like to install Word 95 on a W2k laptop.

Comments

• the .img files are floppy images, so you need to write the each of image's content to a floppy.
  • We've always suggested here forever to use the program winImage for floppy disk images. That program will be able to write those images to a floppy. Now theoretically, you could extract all the .img files into a single folder and burn it onto a cd, using that to install word if you don't have a floppy drive on your main computer. I know that works with Windows 3.11 and some of the older versions of office.
  • noone wrote:
    Now theoretically, you could extract all the .img files into a single folder and burn it onto a cd, using that to install word if you don't have a floppy drive on your main computer. I know that works with Windows 3.11 and some of the older versions of office.

I can confirm that this works, however you will need to modify the WRD95.INF file to tell it where to find the cab files. I used the Word 95 archive from WinWorld and used 7zip to extract everything. I was able to successfully install Word 95 in a 95 VM I had kicking around.

It's easy enough to do this on your own, but as I already made the ISO, it seems silly not to share it. Let me know a place and I can upload it.
  • I really appreciate all the help and suggestions! I now have MS Office 97 Professional running on my T22 Laptop running W2k PRO.
    I downloaded the file from WinWorld, extracted each disk image to the same folder, burned it to a disk, put it in the laptop and clicked on setup.exe and it installed just fine. I really like Word 97. It is so simple and easy compared to the more complicated new versions. It loads really fast, much faster than Open Office. I will be getting more of the old programs for the laptop.
  • I preferred Office 2003 for the longest time for this very reason.
  • I like the 2003 version as well. That is what I have on my XP Dell desktop. When I first saw the newer version at work, I was confused. They made it very complicated for even someone who was used to the older versions of Word.
  • Not sure what level of education you are at but computer applications in college and high school will help get you to know it. I considered the classes lame and a waste of time myself, but one thing I will give them credit for were their thoroughness.
  • I was against the ribbon interface for a very long time and even now I'm not sure it was the best solution to the problem they were facing (which was that the application had grown so large and had so much functionality that it was difficult for people to locate the functions they needed. They were getting feature requests for features that had been part of word for years.), but I've gotten used to the ribbon now. And it's definitely improved a bit with Office 2010.

So far 2010 has my vote for the best version of Office to date. I have 2013 installed on my laptop and I'm giving it a chance. It's ok and the interface matches 8 better, but I think at this point I still prefer 2010 over it.

And once you've been using the newer versions of Office for a while, when you go back to 2003 and older, it really feels old.
  • Josh,
    Senior Citizen.
  • Word 97 was the shit, I used to type all my papers on my Inspiron 5000 with it, for the sole purpose of eliminating distractions because running Word and Opera 11 (with KernelEx), with 192MB of RAM was just not worth it. :P