dumb ? - what to do with .img files

edited May 2013 in Software
I downloaded an app (3.5) and unzipped into nine diskx.img files. Do these have to get to floppies or can I get them to CD's? If CD's, one per .img file? I have the orig app on diskettes, but WinXP not reading them. I want to get around this floppy problem and need to be told exactly what to do. Thanks!

Comments

• Which application?

.img files are usually WinImage images of a floppy disk, and need to be either mounted directly in a virtual machine (VMware, Virtualbox etc) or written to a floppy disk using WinImage.

Sometimes you can get away with extracting all the disk images (using WinImage) to a single folder so it can be burned to a CD. Occasionally this might require editing some INF files to point the installer to the right location, but others require no work at all.

I'll wait for someone else to chip in, there was a topic about this not too long ago...
  • Yes, we had a similar topic here: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=6223

You don't even need WinImage to extract the .img files. 7zip handles it just fine.

It depends on the application, but in the case of Word 95 from the topic I pasted above, all that was required was to extract the .img files into a single folder, edit the INF file accordingly, and burn the folder to a CD (or in my case I used an ISO and mounted in a VM so I didn't have to waste a CD).
  • Sorry, I had posted the question because I couldn't find the search box. But I found it right after posting and read what you're referring to. But I, a real old guy, am still confused.

I downloaded VB 3.0 Professional. Of course it was one file and I unzipped it with 7-Z and saved the nine "floppy" image files in a hard drive folder. When I burned the folder, the resultant CD has the same exact thing as the hard drive - a folder with nine disk#.img files on it. I expected this, I guess. Next, I selected Disk1.img to burn by itself (nero essentials) as there doesn't appear to be a way to select all of the image files at once. When I burned, it said OK, but when I look at the CD drive, it looks empty (0 free space, 0 tot size). I can't use this CD-R again for burning. So. . . .

Duff, when you talk about "extracting", it sounds like you're saying that a process can be used to "un-image" the image files (actually see all the files that are within the image - a copy of the original diskette, but on the CD) and not the simple un-zip/extraction, right? I don't know how to do this. Maybe I need something better to burn with than this simple Nero Essen I just installed? Thanks for the help; much needed.
  • This is reply two for tonight (the other not yet approved). Thanks, guys! I figured out you were talking about two different extracts, one from .zip to .img's and the other .img's to actual files. Just decided to give 7-Z another shot at "extracting" from img.

I started installing VB and I can already tell I need to burn nine different folders (E:\DISK#\) because setup could not find E:\DISK1\VBAPI.HL_. Once I burn another CD, we'll see how much further I get.

Thanks again and thanks to winworld for saving these cool apps for us. My wife bought me Visual Studio .net awhile ago, but I'm too scared to try it; I know VB 3.0 so well. . . . .

Former COBOL programmer whose almost entire profession has been outsourced overseas - so that's why I'm semi-retired and just do what is fun for me now!

Later. . . .
  • About WinImage, is there an open source / free clone, or at least something like it? I love WinImage, but my trial has run out.
  • iandun wrote:
    About WinImage, is there an open source / free clone, or at least something like it? I love WinImage, but my trial has run out.
    If you're using linux, dd (when used properly) is more effective than using a program like winimage. Now I'm not quite sure, but I swear there has to be a windows implementation in cygwin for that. I don't know honestly.
  • dd can't run under cygwin because it can't access the hardware directly: http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2000-08/msg00885.html. That is too bad, because it is a wonderful tool on Linux.
  • I think there's an equivalent tool called rawdisk or rawrite or something like that.
  • noone wrote:
    iandun wrote:
    About WinImage, is there an open source / free clone, or at least something like it? I love WinImage, but my trial has run out.
    If you're using linux, dd (when used properly) is more effective than using a program like winimage. Now I'm not quite sure, but I swear there has to be a windows implementation in cygwin for that. I don't know honestly.

dd has been ported to windows:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/unxutils/
  • Check the mighty bay of people who talk with bad accents. Pretty sure Winimage is on there.
  • Or, if you're trying to run it through VirtualBox or other software, the .img files act as floppies. Usually, if there's a lot they are all the installation CDs.