Visual Studio 2012

edited March 2013 in Software
My friend bought Visual Studio 2012 few months back. Give it a try and didn't like it. So he gave it to me. All i got was the cd and the key for it. I installed it but don't have any document telling how to use it. Is there any place i can get some kind document for it. thanks for the help.

Comments

• I have to use visual studio 2012 for work, and I just use visual studio express. All that involved was getting the installer from MS's website and running it. Personally though, I *hate* the metroized interface for it. It feels sluggish on my machine whereas 2010 worked just fine.

If you were asking about how to program in VB or something like that, a good tutorial site would be this. It's pretty straightforward to use if you need a simple Windows-only program. There's also plenty of youtube videos online for programming in it. Now personally, I never used VS for anything but VB programs, but you can use it for C (and friends) programming also. Be advised though, your code will not be really portable using Visual Studio, so don't expect to be making cross platform programs with it. (That's from my experience though, and your mileage may vary)
  • It's very easy to write cross-platform code with Visual Studio. You just have to be conscientious not to use anything specific to Windows, or to do it in such a way that it can be easily replaced for other platforms.

Also I'm gonna have to disagree about the new UI looking bad. I'm using a dark theme with a dark text editor theme and the dim, flat, low-contrast look is actually quite welcome when staring at text all day. We use 2010 at work and I find it kinda gaudy. Some of our older stuff is still built with 2008 (for dumb reasons, I can only assume) and it looks like a children's cartoon in comparison to both of those.
  • All i know is my friend going to school to write programs and the school uses a difference program to do it. So he gave this to me and told me i could even write a program with this. I never wrote a program in my life. So i give it a try. LOL