Windows 95..A?

edited April 2013 in Software
Alright so here's one to ponder about. I'm tinkering with a 486 that I'm dual booting Dos 6.22/Win3.11 and Windows 95A. I'm intentionally rejecting B/C because the machine does not contain USB, does not need FAT32 support, and the performance goes to hell once the active desktop of IE4+ gets installed.

I've tried several downloads from many places but the system properties pane always says .950, never showing the A. Am I missing something here? Is OSR 1 different than A? From what I have read they should be the same, the discs definitely ask for an OEM serial not a "retail" serial.

Now, if I were to install service pack 1 on such an install it does display the A afterwards.

If I extract the service pack update and compare its file versions to the fresh installed SR1 they don't match, the SR1 files show as build 950 while the ones in SP1 are 951.

I'm perhaps being led astray by the wikipedia chart showing all the versions of 95 probably just being wrong...

There also appears to have been a Windows 95 Service Pack 1 cd that would install quite a lot of stuff besides the 1.2MB core system update. It would include IE2.0 and some other updates that were previously released (you know... like a real service pack would) I haven't had any luck trying to find this iso, a floppy version also existed it seems.

Comments

• I thought - and this is my extremely vague recollection - the A release was all of the OSR1 updates packaged for retail.
  • That could be right to some extent yes, A should be the retail update to make build 950 the equivalent of OSR1, BUT, the OSR1 ISOs we have still use the build 950 system files... so that part would make me think they are mislabeled, or OSR1 is just the OEM version of the original release and A supersedes both of them.