Windows 98 SE upgrade lied

edited May 2013 in Software
I need help! im trying to install windows 98 se as an upgrade from windows 95. after the product key entry, it says 'the windows 98 setup files required for this upgrade are not found. please install a full version of windows 98 before upgrading to windows 98 se.' can someone help? thx

Comments

• Are you using the update disc, which updates the first edition to SE, or an upgrade, which can upgrade from 3.1 or 95?
  • Well, it seems to me that the answer lies in the error message. It's telling you to first do the upgrade to 98 before you can do the upgrade to 98 SE. Which suggests to me that you don't have a full version of 98 SE but rather just an update disc that only supported updating an existing 98 install.

So the solution would be to either do as the error message says and upgrade to 98, then upgrade that to 98 SE, or download a full version of 98 SE and upgrade directly.
  • aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yes I agree sounds as if the disc being used isn't the correct one.
  • im trying to upgrade from windows 95. if I cant use 98se upgrade, what do I use? (ps, it NEEDS to be an upgrade)
  • i tried the full version, but it says an OS is already installed.
  • Have you downloaded this version from the server.

http://wdl1.winworldpc.com/Abandonware% ... 20(Upgrade).7z

That should be the correct upgrade edition, which will do Win95 (any version) or 98 FE to 98SE.