two IPs can't ping each other

edited May 2013 in Software
alright now forgive me if I'm being temporarily retarded here, because I can't figure this out.

I was helping my friend set up his Linux server over text messages... bit of a tedious task with someone as ignorant as he. We eventually got it online and whatnot, but after getting DNS servers working and all, he still couldn't ping my IP from his connection. He claimed to be able to ping any other existant IP address or hostname, but my domain name and IP were both timing out.

I had him install links and go to my website in the browser, which worked fine.

I then figured there was just something strange with his connection and we moved on.

Well he had to take a break for a bit, and during said break I tried to ping his IP from mine, and it timed out. does he just have something really weird going on with his DNS server (I had him configure the router to use Google Public DNS)?

I tried using some online ping tool that reports pings from their server and it got 100% packet loss on *both* our IP addresses, but none on known-working ones...

any clue what's going on? comcast modem being more-than-usually retarded?

Comments

• never mind i was being retarded, my dd-wrt router had ICMP requests blocked apparently ... as for my friend, whatever.
  • Most home routers block pings on the WAN interface. This is a good thing really, discourages the skiddies.