linux and win 8 together

edited August 2013 in Software
how well does windows 8 and linux duel boot together? I just don't want to install linux and find out they won't duel boot. I have windows 8 on there now. I have two hard drives in my computer.

Comments

• Windows 8 can dual boot with Linux. Earlier this year when I was goofing off with 8, I also had an Arch Linux install. Grub was able to boot 8 when I needed to use it.

Now if you're using a brand new machine with Secureboot enabled, that's a whole different story.
  • I run a dual boot with Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 8 on my laptop. Runs great. For a while I even used the Windows 8 boot manager, but that got old whenever I wanted to boot into Ubuntu because the Windows 8 boot manager loads the NT kernel first and then presents the boot menu, so it had to unload the kernel and reboot before booting into Ubuntu.

So, I switched to grub. Much better. That'll pretty much be the default when you install Linux after installing Windows anyway.
  • i using a old computer. It's a old 775 socket with a quad-core cpu. the motherboard is made by foxconn. I was going to install kubuntu. The last time i tried duel booting windows 7 and linux . Windows 7 didn't want to start up and when i tried to boot it wanted to fix the drive. I said yes and it repair it self and it would only boot into windows then. well thanks for the help.
  • It works fine for me on similar HW, LGA775 BIOS system.

I use Windows 8 and Debian stable.
  • i using a old computer. It's a old 775 socket with a quad-core cpu. the motherboard is made by foxconn. I was going to install kubuntu. The last time i tried duel booting windows 7 and linux . Windows 7 didn't want to start up and when i tried to boot it wanted to fix the drive. I said yes and it repair it self and it would only boot into windows then. well thanks for the help.
    I've seen that happen when the small 30-60mb partition 7 and later makes as a boot partition is tampered with. When I first tried to dual boot 7 and Arch together, I deleted that thinking it was some dell recovery garbage on the machine I was using. Wasn't until I tried booting Windows that I learned what it really was. Recently when I went back to 7, I moved that partition for some weird reason and it made me run startup repair, removing grub from the MBR. I haven't gotten back around to fixing that yet, but since I now have an insane amount of freetime, I probably will.
  • with me this computer don't like it when you install the os on two difference hard drives. My main hard drive is 500gb and the second one is only 149gb. They are both sata drives. my 500gb is master and my dvd-rom is a slave and then my 149gb is secondly master. I even switch the dvd-rom and the 149gb around and that didn't work. But i going to try to install linux tomorrow and see what happens.
  • There is no master/slave with SATA. If you're using IDE emulation mode or not using AHCI ensure that's turned. Most installers will auto-detect your Windows install and make it a GRUB option. Ensure the secondary drive is set as first boot in this case.
  • noone wrote:
    i using a old computer. It's a old 775 socket with a quad-core cpu. the motherboard is made by foxconn. I was going to install kubuntu. The last time i tried duel booting windows 7 and linux . Windows 7 didn't want to start up and when i tried to boot it wanted to fix the drive. I said yes and it repair it self and it would only boot into windows then. well thanks for the help.
    I've seen that happen when the small 30-60mb partition 7 and later makes as a boot partition is tampered with. When I first tried to dual boot 7 and Arch together, I deleted that thinking it was some dell recovery garbage on the machine I was using. Wasn't until I tried booting Windows that I learned what it really was. Recently when I went back to 7, I moved that partition for some weird reason and it made me run startup repair, removing grub from the MBR. I haven't gotten back around to fixing that yet, but since I now have an insane amount of freetime, I probably will.

Actually, it's usually 100 MB and you can prevent its creation if you partition the drive yourself before installing Windows.
  • In the bios i got it set so the ide and sata are enable. So i have 6 drives if i want. I have 3 sata ports and one ide. If you put it on sata only this computer the sata ports run slower. So i leave it with both enable and have nothing plug into the ide. But later today i give it a try and install linux.
  • Do you have any hard benchmarks showing that SATA goes slow when IDE is disabled? It sounds far fetched, non-true and likely disabled AHCI.
  • Because when i pick sata only the bios tells me it will run in legacy mode and when i pick ide and sata together the bios tells me it will run in enhance mode. In the manual it tells me to run in enhance mode for the fastest speed. It's how foxconn setup this motherboard.
  • In the days of VMWare et al, who the hell still wants to fuck around dual booting anymore?
  • My laptop *can* handle VMs, but it's not great at it. Plus, passing through real hardware (for example, a USB wireless card) doesn't always work well. Brilliant when it does though.

To be honest though, I just don't like running VMs on local machines. I prefer to run them on hypervisors.