Windows 8.1 RTM Enterprise Available

edited October 2013 in Software
For anyone who may be interested Windows 8.1 RTM Enterprise in now available for download. It is a 90 day trial version which needs to be activated before October 31, 2014. You need to sign in to download it.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/eval ... 99156.aspx

Comments

• I debated going, reinstalling 8 on my desktop and trying the 8.1 update just to see what has changed. I honestly though don't have my hopes quite up for much of a change.
  • Not much had change. They add a start button and some app's won't work until you upgrade to windows 8.1 and some app's stop working after you upgrade to windows 8.1. windows at show you your hard drive is now called "This pc". It has you hard drive and folders listed under it like your music folder ect. Microsoft don't really give you a choice. You have to upgrade or app's and windows update won't work right.
  • Windows 8.1 is really just Windows 8 service pack one.

But as far as I can tell they aren't providing a standalone update. You have to use the Windows store (probably the whole idea) or download the entire DVD. Seems like that would be a kick in the pants to any corporate users, not that any sane company would use Windows 8 in the first place.
  • I've got it running in VMWare. I still use Win 7 Ultimate so can't do an 8 vs 8.1 comparison but so far I like it. Having said that, I'll stick with Win 7 for the time being. Like I said with the 8.1 Pro and Enterprise Previews, I don't really see anything 8.1 can offer me that 7 already doesn't.
  • Not much had change. They add a start button and some app's won't work until you upgrade to windows 8.1 and some app's stop working after you upgrade to windows 8.1. windows at show you your hard drive is now called "This pc". It has you hard drive and folders listed under it like your music folder ect. Microsoft don't really give you a choice. You have to upgrade or app's and windows update won't work right.
    Sounds like I'll just have a go with the trial in VMware then since I don't own a MS account (unless my inactive skype account magically became one recently), and have 0 interest in linking my MS account to my PC just to use the store program.
    Whoever thought about making your MS account your primary login is a jackass. I had to help people at work one time because a friend decided to change their password as a practical joke and locked them out of not only their email, but also the computer. And without any backdoor admin accounts like there used to be, made it a total nightmare to get back into it.
  • You can break into a Windows 8 box pretty much as easily as you could a Windows 7 box. Although they're trying to make it more difficult with crap like secure boot.
  • I am duel booting windows xp and 8 together. I use windows xp more since i can run older games on it i got. I use windows 8 for a few game app's they got. But windows xp my main os.
  • BlueSun wrote:
    You can break into a Windows 8 box pretty much as easily as you could a Windows 7 box. Although they're trying to make it more difficult with crap like secure boot.
    It was some weird Dell all in one machine. No CD drive, refused to boot off of any usb device I gave it. Took forever just to figure out how to even get it to attempt to boot off a usb stick, there was no "Press f8/del/escape/f12 for menu" prompt. Figured out eventually you could get a boot menu by holding the control and shift keys at the same time as you are pressing the power button on the computer. Nobody would have realized that unless you looked it up online.
  • Yeah, but that's an issue with the Dell itself, not with 8.