HELLO, I NEED HELP WITH RUNNING SOME PROGRAMS PLEASE.

edited December 2013 in Software
HELLO, . i HAVE A QUESTION WHICH MAY BE COMPLETELY DUMB BUT ON THE MAIN PAGE IT SAYS IF YOU HAVE TROUBLE CHECK THE FORUM.

SO I DOWNLOADED ONE PROGRAM, WHICH I JUST SELECTEDD AS A TEST. tHE ONE I GOT IS COREL DRAW 2.0

SO I DOWNLOADED IT AND I EXTRACTED IT BUT NOW WHAT DO I DO WITH THE DISK IMAGES?

SORRY IF THAT IS A LAME QUESTION, I DID A LOT OF SEARCHING BEFORE , I AM JUST CONFUSED.,

THANKS PEACE.

Comments

• If you want to put those images to floppies, you need to use a program such as winimage. Since Corel Draw 2 is a DOS application (or is it Windows 3.x, I forget), you'd need to run it either on native hardware or in a virtual machine. Best bet would be to download VMWare player and the 3.11 virtual machine image from here if you want to run it.

(Also, caps lock is not cool.)
  • COMPLETELY DUMB

Not in the slightest.
  • I've added a blurb to the library page to address what disk images are.
    Some archives, particularly applications containing PC floppy images, will be in a raw image format (.img). On Windows, WinImage, or rawrite32 can be used to extract contents or write images to physical floppies. On *nix systems (including Mac OS X) you can mount images, and write images to disk using commands similar to the ones below.
    $ dd if=/path/to/disk.img of=/dev/fd0 dd bs=2x80x18b # Writes floppy image to Linux first floppy
    $ mount -t loop /path/to/disk.img /mnt/floppy # Mounts disk image into folder /mnt/floppy
    $ mount -t loop -o ro /path/to/disk.img /mnt/floppy # Mounts disk image into folder /mnt/floppy in read only mode.

I haven't honestly tested those commands off hand, mostly due to lack of floppies and undesire to download test images currently, but they should work. If not let me know and I'll correct as needed.

New guy, turn off your caps lock.
  • Also note that most virtualization software mounts floppy images fine. VirtualBox is picky about the file name though and VMWare hides images not suffixed with .flp.