Happy New Year from Winworld

edited January 2014 in News & Announcements
Happy New Year!
So two days ago from this post, this forum began it's 10th year of existence. Looking back in the beginning at my old posts of when I was an immature teenager who could not spell and use proper punctuation, a lot has changed. One of which is where we've been hosted over the years, from a computer in a closet over a DSL connection, to a machine in a properly hosted datacenter.* Speaking of which, this is one of the earliest posts from back then, that unless you do url manipulation, can't get to.
This forum is now hosted on a new forum-only server. This is a Pentium III 500MHz with 192MB RAM and 160GB hard drive. Using Abyss Web Server under Windows XP Professional. Average uptime: 6 days.

This server is hosted on Verizon aDSL with a 128Kbit upload on a Westel aDSL modem and a NetGear 4 port router and NetGear network card.

This server is brought to you and WinWorld by the Fish.NET Team.

Have Fun, and please vote on what you think of the speed.

There's some stuff planned that will happen sometime in the near future. The long standing corrupted downloads are soon to be fixed, a few new international additions are going to be added finally, and possibly some really ancient software predating MS-DOS. The latter will likely be determined on when I get around to writing tutorials on how to use stuff that old and gathering working emulators. (Think UNIX and VMS)

Although this forum is basically a old, abandoned city like Chernobyl compared to it's hayday, the IRC channel is still lively. Just please, if you use webchat, don't expect responses within 2-3 minutes of saying "hi" or something, and please don't join, say hi, and leave within 36 seconds (and no fishbots).

*Note: A better history can be found on the website's about page.

Comments

• noone wrote:
    This forum is now hosted on a new forum-only server. This is a Pentium III 500MHz with 192MB RAM and 160GB hard drive. Using Abyss Web Server under Windows XP Professional. Average uptime: 6 days.

This server is hosted on Verizon aDSL with a 128Kbit upload on a Westel aDSL modem and a NetGear 4 port router and NetGear network card.

I'm still a bit nostalgic for the days of closet hosting. For many years, I had hosted my websites on friends' broadband connections on similar slow servers. For a year or two, I hosted my websites at home on a Celeron with my 256Kbit upload. There's no reason to do it anymore now that I have a datacenter hosted box, but I still am nostalgic for those days.
  • Kirk wrote:
    noone wrote:

I'm still a bit nostalgic for the days of closet hosting. For many years, I had hosted my websites on friends' broadband connections on similar slow servers. For a year or two, I hosted my websites at home on a Celeron with my 256Kbit upload. There's no reason to do it anymore now that I have a datacenter hosted box, but I still am nostalgic for those days.
    It used to be foreseen by many years ago that most of (speaking in terms of being in the US) the country would have FTTH, and everyone would run their own personal servers. Didn't turn out that way, instead, it went in the opposite direction.
  • noone wrote:
    It used to be foreseen by many years ago that most of (speaking in terms of being in the US) the country would have FTTH, and everyone would run their own personal servers. Didn't turn out that way, instead, it went in the opposite direction.

Yes, because the content (read: cable) industry decided that unlimited super-fast broadband would result in too much cord cutting. And telecommunications companies with no stake in content realized they could make more money focusing on highly capped cellular solutions rather than investing in fiber.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file