Broken images

edited January 2014 in Software
The beta operating systems do not work because the dates are expired

Comments

• jyryjt wrote:
    The beta operating systems do not work because the dates are expired
    Microsoft made them that way by design. You have to roll your clock back in order for specific betas to work.
  • Yeah I had to do that with Whistler B2. I think betas before Whistler are fine though, especially 9x-based ones.
  • Yeah, I can't remember the specific betas from memory, but I think it was most of them from Whistler on forward. They had a time bomb built in that made the copy useless 3-6 months after the RTM release came out.

For example, the Windows 8 betas out there stopped working in Janurary of 2013, making it about 3.5 months or so after RTM came out. If you're running them in an emulator (as you should), disable time synchronization in the virtual machine settings, and then boot the VM up and get into the virtual BIOS settings by hitting F12/Delete/whatever key it shows and adjust the time to fit the era they came out during.

If someone has a list or knows which ones, and when the time bomb dates are, I'd love if they listed them in this topic for future reference.
  • noone wrote:
    If someone has a list or knows which ones, and when the time bomb dates are, I'd love if they listed them in this topic for future reference.
    I can arrange that. Give me some time. :)