windows server 2003 for home server

edited April 2014 in Software
Hi all i am going to get a dell poweredge III off of ebay hopefully and i was just wondering if windows home server 2003 would still be a good option. I plan on hosting a website useing wamp and a minecraft server. If windows server 2003 isnt very good then are there any other good free options.

Thank you so much
creeper_256

Comments

• Please note that Windows Server 2003 is too new to be hosted on WinWorld in accordance with current WinWorld policy.

"Other good free options" - implying that Windows Server is free? I don't run Windows on servers. I run Linux on servers.
  • My recommendation, go with Ubuntu and install LAMP. Gives you more standardization and flexibility. And going with Ubuntu, you'll find lots of support available.
  • Debian is better. More lite weight and has more server side support.
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    Debian is better. More lite weight and has more server side support.

For an advanced user, I'd agree with that recommendation. Or maybe even a RHEL distro like CentOS. But given the OP's unknown skill level, I'm assuming it's basic and therefore, my recommendation of Ubuntu.
  • I know this post is old but
    The server version of Ubuntu (Ubuntu Server) is a good pick and even Ubuntu Cloud is good