windows 98 and blue screen of death

edited May 2014 in Software
I have a compaq d510 cmt running at 2.4ghz and every time i shut it down or restart it i get a blue screen. It all ways happen when i got something plug into the usb port. I have to unplug everything for it to shut down or reboot right. So thank you for any help i get.

Comments

• If this is the right machine then I'd suggest installing the latest chipset driver and perhaps bios too.

You should also check every other driver I suppose...

Does this machine boot any other OSes? Do you have problems with them?
  • Mine is the tower model. I did all the latest drivers for it. I even installed the usb 2.0 driver for windows 98 too. It had windows xp on it when i got it. windows xp ran slow even with 1.5gb of memory in it. I had to take the 1gb memory stick out since windows 98 won't boot with it in but left the 512mb in. It run good and no blue screens until i go to shut it down or restart it with something plug into the usb port. I have to unplug everything that"s plug into the usb port. I even did all the updates for windows 98 with the service pack 2.1a that has all the updates.
  • If possible can you uninstall the usb driver you installed? Perhaps your hardware isn't compatible with it.

Did you use the universal usb driver for 98 located here? http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/k ... rivers.php
  • no i installed the one off of intel web site they have for windows 98. It did it even before i install the usb 2.0 driver.
  • Can you try booting into safe mode to see if it happens there too?

Have you installed the Auto-patcher for Windows 98? These unofficial updates can include all sorts of drivers and fixes and also interesting enhancements for the OS. Do pay attention to its options as its got quite an extensive batch scripted config menu.
  • yes i installed unofficial service pack 2.1a for windows 98se. In safe mode it restarts and shut down just fine.
  • If this is the same thing... there are much newer versions of that update (3.33)

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details ... _pack.html

perhaps it can help, but ultimately all I can really say is you'll have to keep trying different usb host drivers until you find something thats stable.
  • I download and installed the update you put on here. It still did it. My cousin came over and fix it for me. Windows was shutting down the usb port before the stuff plug into it and i guess windows panic that it couldn't find the stuff. He told me that the computer was to fast for windows 98 then what it was made for. So thank you guys for the help.
  • Well putting 98 on a pentium 4 is a little bit of an oddity, but it wasn't unheard of, and they did make drivers for your machine.

So they went into device manager and unchecked the boxes to allow windows to turn off the usb ports? I can't remember a whole hell of a lot about 98 as I never really used it, wasn't sure if its device manager was advanced enough.
  • I don't know what he did. He had the command prompt open and typing really fast. My cousin is a computer programer and he also repairs computer on the side. He had some cd in the drive and was just typing a way. He was on it for about 20 minutes or so and after he restarted my computer it was shutting down and restarting just find. I guess he change so codes in windows 98 i guess.
  • "my dad works at nintendo and he said..!"

Try re-installing windows to verify that it's not a hardware issue.
  • I believe that you may have to format your computer's hard disk and reinstall Windows 98. :(
    If you want a better solution, you can reinstall USB drivers for Windows 98 on your PC. 8)

However, you can ask a proffessional to solve your problem and to be sure.
  • Manolis wrote:
    I believe that you may have to format your computer's hard disk and reinstall Windows 98. :(
    Um, yeah, of course you do.
    Manolis wrote:
    However, you can ask a proffessional to solve your problem and to be sure.
    LOL! I fix computers for people on the side. If someone brought me a Windows 98 machine to service I would laugh my ass off and tell them to buy a new computer.