Windows 95 Virtual Machine

edited June 2014 in Software
I downloaded the Windows 95 "win95c_osr25.iso" to run in a virtual machine. It installed perfectly. But when I went to use it, it required an Activation Code. I do not remember seeing one in the package that was downloaded or the site. How can I get one please?

Comments

• I downloaded the Windows 95 "win95c_osr25.iso" to run in a virtual machine. It installed perfectly. But when I went to use it, it required an Activation Code. I do not remember seeing one in the package that was downloaded or the site. How can I get one please?
    An activation code? You mean a serial?
  • Actually I was incorrect on my previous comment/question. It is during the setup phase that it asks for a "Certificate of Authenticity" number. How do I get one please?
  • Perhaps noone was too subtle. You can find one by clicking this link: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=6677
  • Thank you for the list. However, I have a new problem:

I have used two of the serial numbers for the Windows 95 B, C. The program installs. But when it reboots, I get the following message:

"Insufficient memory to initialize Windows"

Then it tells me to remove programs from my config.sys and autoexec.bat.

I get this with both of the serial numbers that I used. I am new to this virtual machine stuff. How do I correct this error please?

I just want to play one of my old games that I was very fond of.
  • The error is unrelated to the serial you used. How much memory did you assign to the virtual machine?
  • 4GB
    I would not suggest more than 1GB for Windows 95. Actually I don't even think 95 can even handle 4GB of ram. (Correct me if I'm wrong on this please)
  • 4 GB is way more than you need for 95. And having 1 GB or more of RAM causes this error. Here is a link to a Microsoft KB article with a workaround if you want to use 1 GB or more:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/184447

But I wouldn't bother. Instead just lower the memory allocated to the VM to something under 1 GB. You don't really need more than that for a 95 system anyway.
  • That workaround just caps the memory usage at 768megs. Technically the max is around 940megs, but it can vary. Also they forget to mention the same line should be added to the "system.cb" file used by safe mode.

That is the only way to do it on real hardware if you don't want to remove ram chips, but on a VM, just save youself some headache and move the slider down to ~768 megs or less. If your game runs on 95, I can almost guarantee it doesn't even need that much.

Also, I would recommend adding the line:
    MaxFileCache=65536
    to the [vcache] section. Otherwise with large amouns of RAM, Windows 95 can appear to freeze for a few minutes while copying large files.
  • Thank you all for the advice, I have it working now.

Next question, how do I get the VM to recognize my CD Drive so that I can get to my game?
  • Best idea would be to download something like ImgBurn and create an ISO of the game that you can load up on the VM. That way you have a backup of the physical media. But most virtualization software includes some method for mounting the physical CD drive in the VM.
  • Next question, how do I get the VM to recognize my CD Drive so that I can get to my game?
    BlueSun wrote:
    Best idea would be to download something like ImgBurn and create an ISO of the game that you can load up on the VM. That way you have a backup of the physical media. But most virtualization software includes some method for mounting the physical CD drive in the VM.

Indeed. If you need assistance with this, please let us know what virtualization software you are using (VMWare Workstation, VirtualBox, etc) as well as the version.