[NOTANSSUE] This is not Abandonware

edited July 2014 in Site Issues
First I would like to say that WinWorld is the only decent and trustworthy website that I found that actually has applications for older systems since doing a search online will only yield games when looking for old software. (It is easier and more likely I will find old Windows 95 software at thrift stores.)

Anyhow the reason for this post is that I was browsing the downloads again when I came across SpinRite 5.0 [Abandonware Applications/PC/SpinRite 5.0 (5.25).7z] by which I downloaded and tested on my test machine to see if it was the same SpinRite I keep hearing about and have looked into it before, which bring me to the typing of this post as you can still get SpinRite 5.0 today.

If you go to https://www.grc.com/sr/faq.htm and go to the bottom of the page you will find the below quote:
I've read that SpinRite v6.0 owners can also get the previous SpinRite version 5.0. How do we do that?

All you need to do is change the filename in the software download URL from "spinrite.exe" to "sr5.exe". To do that . . .
- Display a fresh copy of your SpinRite v6.0 receipt by entering your SpinRite v6.0 transaction code into our customer service page.
- Instead of clicking on the page's software download link (which would download a copy of "spinrite.exe" and use up the link), RIGHT-CLICK on the link and select "Copy Shortcut" to copy the link to your Windows clipboard.
- Next, RIGHT-CLICK in your browser's URL address line and select "Paste". This will paste the software download link into the address line without using it yet.
- Finally, edit the end of the URL, changing it from "spinrite.exe" to "sr5.exe", then press "Enter" to use that edited URL and retrieve your own individually licensed copy of SpinRite v5.0.

Comments

• SpinRite 5 is also limited to IDE/ATA disks and will not work with SATA disks and it can even be detrimental to the write cycles if ran on an SSD. If you're a fan of Steve's software I'd suggest buying a license. We don't have any plans to ever offer 6 which is needed for any modern or semi-modern hardware.
This discussion has been closed.