To Those With Creative Skills... (Banner Redesign)

edited September 2014 in News & Announcements
As some of you know, the current WinWorld banner has been around in more or less the same form since 2004. It originally started as a single JPEG with bad compression artifacts. I touched it up mildly when we brought WinWorld back from dead in 2010, and separated it three parts, the globe, the text, and the Windows logo.

I think we are long overdue for a new, modern logo that doesn't look like Office WordArt. I have no creative talent, so I call on the WinBoards community to submit a new banner design for us. The creator will be credited in our About section (if desired) and granted VIP status on the forums if they do not already have it.

Here are some guidelines which may be useful.

Layout & Size: I think the current 3-part design overlaying the star background works pretty well though I'm open to suggestions. The current height of the header banner is 125px which I think is ideal.

Colors: Use the colors already in use across WinWorld and WinBoards as a reference. Red, yellow, orange, etc. Check the WinWorld CSS file.

Center Text: The only 'requirements' I have for the text portion of the banner would be that the WinWorld text is prominently displayed along with our long-time, still good slogan somewhere near it, possibly smaller and/or a different style. Transparency would be preferable so it's easy to overlay against any background should we change from the starfield design in the future.

Windows Flag: I'd like to get away from having the Windows logo in the top right. Something more generic, that symbolizes that WinWorld is more than just a site for Windows software but a general old computer website, preferably without using trademarked logos prominently. If it could be downsized and used as a favicon as well, even better.

Left Globe: This could be changed to just about anything really. Even a better, cleaner version with better transparency would be fine.

By all means don't consider any of these rigid rules. If you have an idea, run with it and it might turn out better than anything I could imagine.

Existing Resources:

Star Background: http://winworldpc.com/img/header_bg.png
Left: http://winworldpc.com/img/header_p1.png
Center: http://winworldpc.com/img/header_p2.png
Right: http://winworldpc.com/img/header_p3.png

Comments

• I don't have the greatest 'shop skills, but here's a couple of ideas for the text:

59yt.png

6gva.png
  • BlueSun wrote:
    6gva.png

You could be onto something...

b0x.jpg

Other logo for reference:
    w91.jpg
  • stitch wrote:
    BlueSun wrote:
    6gva.png

b0x.jpg

w91.jpg

I like that website design Stitch. It looks nice along with that logo. Are you going to add a hover property to those tabs? ( Home, library, etc..)
  • Have my crappy entry.
    WmnZjqk.png
  • birdy wrote:
    stitch wrote:
    BlueSun wrote:
    6gva.png

snip!

snip!

I like that website design Stitch. It looks nice along with that logo. Are you going to add a hover property to those tabs? ( Home, library, etc..)

Thanks. The navbar glows the text by Bootstrap default and while i'm not sure how exactly I'm going to adjust the hover it's certainly possible.
  • Here is one I did quickly, which of course needs refinement as it's only a prototype. The header font is Oswald while the tagline is DroidSans. They are slightly embossed with a small drop shadow.

prototype-1.png
  • This one uses OpenSans for the header and Gabriola for the tagline. It uses a slight drop shadow.

prototype-2.png
  • I have a logo made up. It should pop! It adds some needed pizzazz, and with some HTML to spice things up, we'll be ready for Web 2.0.

l1sZYS9.png

I couldn't find a globe, so I added something better - it represents the synergy of the website, and the possibility of new paradigms with old solutions.

bHHjSV0.png
  • Damn that's amazing. You must work for a fancy marketing firm as a graphic designer right?
  • I'm guessing it was a joke. It's hard to tell with some of the users we get.
  • This was created combining 2 publicly available NASA maps which I then turned in to a globe and added a few miscellaneous tweaks. If you want to use it, it is just a matter of resizing, cropping etc.

globe-2.png
  • Another variation. I used the same NASA maps, created a globe but this time raised the continents a bit.

globe-3.png
  • Playing around with some concepts for a logo to replace the current Windows logo.

header-right.png

What it could look like in place ...

scrnsht-1.png

Just bouncing some ideas around.
  • Another variation.

header-right-2.png

In action ...

scrnsht-2.png
  • I like where you're going with it for the colors and shaping. If you could somehow integrate 'tech' into it in some way it'd be a perfect replacement.

Maybe if you flipped it around so it looked more like a satellite dish or something along those lines, then used small logos/icons somehow integrated with it as a part of it...I don't know, I have no art or design skills of any kind, just throwing ideas out there.
  • Duff wrote:
    Maybe if you flipped it around so it looked more like a satellite dish or something along those lines, then used small logos/icons somehow integrated with it as a part of it...

Here it is flipped around. I just have to figure out what kind of icons to use and how to integrate it/them without the end result looking cluttered.

header-right-3.png

scrnsht-3.png
  • I have some fuzzy picture in my head I can't really describe, maybe something in the form of waves or a beam or an 'antenna' of sorts?
  • Duff wrote:
    maybe something in the form of waves or a beam or an 'antenna' of sorts?

Hmm, maybe something like this? Of course it's just a rough draft - it needs refinement. It looks like a lightsaber.

header-right-5.png

scrnsht-4.png
  • I had an idea hovering in my head for a replacement image to the Windows Logo off to the right, which was like a floppy disk. Doesn't matter what type, 3.5in, 5in or 8in, gives off a retro kind of feel which fits our goal fine.

I lack the artistic skills though to provide a decent example though, anyone want to have a go or know where's some public domain images?
  • http://www.creativebloq.com/web-design/ ... s-10134829

There's 30 different collections of free icons, some vector so they are easily resized.
  • noone wrote:
    I had an idea hovering in my head for a replacement image to the Windows Logo off to the right, which was like a floppy disk. Doesn't matter what type, 3.5in, 5in or 8in, gives off a retro kind of feel which fits our goal fine.

I lack the artistic skills though to provide a decent example though, anyone want to have a go or know where's some public domain images?

I'm far from an expert myself. I build WordPress themes but I don't normally do the graphics stuff. But this is great practice not to mention fun. Drawing a floppy isn't too hard - it's basically just a few rectangles. I whipped this up in about 5 minutes ...

floppy.png

I do have a few vectors laying around though. I'll see what I can do.

I'll check out those links Duff posted as well.
  • I found a vector which I think looks good. I touched it up a bit and tried to stick to the forum's colour scheme.

floppy-cd-1.png

scrnsht-5.png

Just so I'm clear, is the plan to use this new graphic (or one like it even from someone else) rather than the previous one I was working on or to somehow incorporate both of them?
  • Are you sure it's not just the logo needing replacing? I like his designs here, but something seems off with them combined with the current design the site has now.
  • Apophis wrote:
    header-right-3.png

I like it, but it does feel like it needs something more. Can you make in a wave pattern?
  • BlueSun wrote:
    I don't have the greatest 'shop skills, but here's a couple of ideas for the text:
    6gva.png

Can you redo that gradient but with the Montserrat font?

http://www.google.com/fonts/specimen/Montserrat
  • Okay, here is something a little more retro ...

mockup-1.png

scrnsht-6.png

I know the logo height needs to be within 125px but I assume we can be a little flexible on the length?

BlueSun wrote:
    9f38.png

That is gorgeous! Love the gradient.
  • BlueSun wrote:
    Apophis wrote:
    header-right-3.png

I like it, but it does feel like it needs something more. Can you make in a wave pattern?

I gave it a go. I can add a wavy look to it when it is still flat but as soon as I start to curl the object to give it that round look the waviness disappears. I'm sure there is a way to do it but like I said, I'm far from an expert.
  • Apophis wrote:
    Okay, here is something a little more retro ...

mockup-1.png

scrnsht-6.png

I know the logo height needs to be within 125px but I assume we can be a little flexible on the length?

BlueSun wrote:
    9f38.png

That is gorgeous! Love the gradient.
    That is perfect, both of them.
  • Apophis wrote:
    Another variation.

header-right-2.png

In action ...

Any way of forming that into like a satellite?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file