Windows 10

edited December 2014 in Software
So Microsoft released Windows 10 today, and I have to say that I am getting incredibly impatient for the download to finish so I can boot it. Has anyone else tried it yet? (And would this be something that can be posted in the library?)

If any of you have tried it, what do you think of the new interface? Better or worse?

Comments

• This is news to me. Guess they're trying to shove windows 8 under the rig like vista lol.
  • Welcome to "Windows We Lost Count Edition".

Seriously, Microsoft has gone off the deep end.
  • I'm starting to wonder why even to update an OS. My windows 7 is still runnig strong.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    Welcome to "Windows We Lost Count Edition".

The only explanation for this I have read that's made any sense is someone at MSFT mentioning the large amount of software that would check the title for "Windows 9" as a Windows 9x check.
  • I don't think I have ever seen any program check the OS version in that manner. And yet I have seen piles of software fall down and go boom from other dumb minor changes in the baseline OS, so I doubt software compatibility is the issue here.

But there might be a valid point that certain kinds of search engine results for "Windows 9" could erroneously return results for Windows 95/98. It is also possible they think humans will confuse the two, although I had not heard of any such confusion.
  • I write this using a Windows 10 technical preview VM, and it looks amazing. The start menu IS back, with live tiles, of course.

The download finished up pretty quickly for me (15 minutes, and the 32-bit download is 3 gigs), and installation (which caused a LOT of lag on my PC) didn't take that long. One downside is that I need at least 4 gigs of RAM to install, and I had to put in more than 5 gigs to have it actually work. Windows Feedback is a great way for the team to interact with beta testers like me, and I absolutely love the fact that engineers will take our feedback and incorporate it.

In a lot of ways, Windows 10 has fixed the VERY touchy Windows 8. Just don't bloat the size of it.
    SomeGuy wrote:
    Welcome to "Windows We Lost Count Edition".

Well, it's been like that for years. 1, 2, 3, 3.1, 4, 4.1, and if I recall correctly, 4.11, then...95?, 98?, ME???, XP?????, Vista???, 7?????, 8, 8.1, 8.1 Update 1????, &...10???????????

Nothing new there.
  • Well, it is technically the 10th generation if you count 8.1 as a separate version of windows, which it practically is.

But the whole software compatibility thing is why it's still NT 6.x. 10 being 6.4 now.
  • Well, it's been like that for years. 1, 2, 3, 3.1, 4, 4.1, and if I recall correctly, 4.11, then...95?, 98?, ME???, XP?????, Vista???, 7?????, 8, 8.1, 8.1 Update 1????, &...10???????????

Nothing new there.

CLR or Fedevista? Is that you?!
  • Well, it's been like that for years. 1, 2, 3, 3.1, 4, 4.1, and if I recall correctly, 4.11, then...95?, 98?, ME???, XP?????, Vista???, 7?????, 8, 8.1, 8.1 Update 1????, &...10???????????

Well the hardest problem is do you go down the DOS line or the NT line? Listing out the OS by version numbers gets confusing and blurred otherwise.

DOS based systems
    1.0x, 2.xx, 3.xx, 95 (4.0), 98 (4.1), ME (4.9)

NT based systems
    NT 3.1, 3.5, 3.51, 4.0, 2000 (5.0)

After that point they meet up with XP (NT 5.1)
  • I'm guessing they're going by the NT line.

NT 3.1
    NT 3.5
    NT 3.51
    NT 4.0
    NT 5.0 (2000)
    NT 5.1 (XP)
    NT 5.2 (2003)
    NT 6.0 (Vista)
    NT 6.1 (7)
    NT 6.2 (8)
    NT 6.3 (8.1)
    NT 6.4 (10)
  • Well they wrote 4.1 and 4.11 thinking they were versions of windows that came before 95, when in fact the first one was 98 and the second one isn't anything.
  • 4.11 sounds a lot like Windows 98 Second Edition. Is this invalid?
  • 4.11 sounds a lot like Windows 98 Second Edition. Is this invalid?

No. SE was 4.10.2222
  • As we know Windows 10 is the name of the upcoming Windows operating system. Windows 10 was previously known as Windows 9, Windows Threshold or Windows TH. Windows Threshold is the codename of Windows 10 just like Longhorn was the codename of Windows Vista and Whistler was the codename of Windows XP.
    Quoted from AskVG.com

Microsoft are trying to enhance their os. For that they are adding many more features[1] some ones from other os'es like Linux[2], MacOS X.
    So wait for new Windows 10 and see what are MicroSoft doing for thier OS :) .

[1] [Review] What’s New in Windows 10? on AskVG
    [2] 5 Features That Windows 10 Has Taken From Linux on Its F.O.S.S
  • Yes, I tend to agree about the complete lack of knowledge about numbers in MS camp. How can you go from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, let alone version number wise (Windows 8.1 versus Windows 10 post build 9888): 6.3 versus 10.0. How does that work?
    I have noticed a few issues with the latest public build though:

When using VMware Player 7 / VMware Workstation 11 on a Windows 10 host, it hangs when you power off your guest devices. Also, the icons are inconsistent, and the networking frontend has gone at least 10 steps back. Of course, this is just a preview (*sigh*)...

Bring on Consumer Preview!!!