Norton Systemworks

What experiences has everyone had with the various versions of systemworks? Tell us all why you hate it or love it. I would use it on my AMD K5 166 but I only have 48 megs of ram in it so the end result is you don't need to have a fast computer anymore so I had to uninstall it.

Comments, questions and general info are welcome.

Comments

• N0rt0n, ughh...

Ever since Symantrick got friendly with DRM I've avoided them as best I could and advise you to do the same.

-Q
  • I've had mixed results but I just installed it on my 200 dollar 'puter and it took from 8 to 9 MB of available ram and that wouldn't be good for you. I'm going to uninstall it myself. I just wanted Norton Ghost but messed up the install somehow. I'm using SystemWorks 2002 right now and have the 2003 for later if I go ahead and add ram. I never intend to go past 2003. Clean Sweep is good. I believe all active antivirus programs use some ram but don't know how they compare.
    Thump
  • Q wrote:
    N0rt0n, ughh...

Ever since Symantrick got friendly with DRM I've avoided them as best I could and advise you to do the same.

-Q

What is DRM? I have heard of it but don't know what it means. I personally like systemworks 2002 which I have but it takes up too much system resources. Maybe when I get more ram..... :)
  • DRM is Digital Rights Management. It can be anything from preventing a CS or file from playing except under certain situations to copy protection. In this case it's N0rt0ns Product Activation (Like Windowses).

-Q
  • I hate norton. We bought it for my dads pc, and had to go through 14 installs to just to get to work.

Now it works, but were not buying another damn norton product again.

AVG all the way!
  • My dad once bought Norton Systemworks, and when we upgraded to windows XP, Norton said it wasnt compatible with XP. We paid another year of updates before we installed XP. Symantec never released a XP patch...
  • That's not being good forward-thinkers, Symantec!
  • Q wrote:
    DRM is Digital Rights Management. It can be anything from preventing a CS or file from playing except under certain situations to copy protection. In this case it's N0rt0ns Product Activation (Like Windowses).

-Q

Hmm so far that I have seen Systemworks 2002 does not have DRM. I kinda like that. Maybe that was the last one to not have DRM but i'm not sure about that.
  • My Norton Utilities SpeedDisk one day(07/29/2002 i remember) crashed my HDD.
  • i think they introduced drm into systemworks 2003.

yeah, i have system works 2002 and it dont need activation. (tho i never use it anymore)
  • Neither SystemWorks 2002 or SystemWorks 2003 has the DRM.
    That's why I stopped buying it at 2003.
    Thump
  • Thump wrote:
    Neither SystemWorks 2002 or SystemWorks 2003 has the DRM.
    That's why I stopped buying it at 2003.
    Thump

I thought you had to activate 2003. I maby wrong tho.
  • I KNOW all their new stuff does.

-Q
  • My Norton SystemWorks 2003 doesn't need activation.
    There may have been some copies of 2003 that did but I don't think so.
    Mine is an OEM.
    Thump