How do I enable Digital CD Audio in Windows Virtual PC 2007?

edited November 2014 in Software
I'm running Windows 98 Second edition (downloaded from WinWorld) with Virtual Machine Additions, and I'm trying to play an old favorite, Toy Story Power Play, which is an enhanced port of Toy Story on SNES and Genesis. The game works, but there is no music, making the game feel incredibly empty.

I looked into it, and I believe this game uses redbook audio for the music.

I have had a problem with this virtual machine, because I cannnot enable digital CD audio on it. (which is what I'm assuming is causing the problem) The option has been greyed out.

I go to Control Panel / Multimedia / CD Music

and when I go to check "Enable digital CD audio for this device" (D:) It is greyed out. I cannot select this option.

(I am attempting to play the game from the original CD-ROM.)

Is there anything I can do to get this working? Or is it a problem with Windows Virtual PC 2007 itself? Is it a problem with the OS the VM is running on? (I'm using Windows 98 SE) Maybe it's a problem with the build of Win98SE I'm using? (If there are other builds I could be using)

(I downloaded the OS before the site got the major update.)

I have virtual machine additions installed. Is there a particular version of VM Additions I need?

I don't know what the problem could be, to be honest. I'm simply thinking about all the possible problems.

Thank you for your time and patience - This was a long topic, as I was being as specific about the problem as possible.

Have a nice day!

Comments

• I'm running Windows 98 Second edition (downloaded from WinWorld) with Virtual Machine Additions, and I'm trying to play an old favorite, Toy Story Power Play, which is an enhanced port of Toy Story on SNES and Genesis. The game works, but there is no music, making the game feel incredibly empty.

I looked into it, and I believe this game uses redbook audio for the music.

I have had a problem with this virtual machine, because I cannnot enable digital CD audio on it. (which is what I'm assuming is causing the problem) The option has been greyed out.

I go to Control Panel / Multimedia / CD Music

and when I go to check "Enable digital CD audio for this device" (D:) It is greyed out. I cannot select this option.

(I am attempting to play the game from the original CD-ROM.)

Is there anything I can do to get this working? Or is it a problem with Windows Virtual PC 2007 itself? Is it a problem with the OS the VM is running on? (I'm using Windows 98 SE) Maybe it's a problem with the build of Win98SE I'm using? (If there are other builds I could be using)

(I downloaded the OS before the site got the major update.)

I have virtual machine additions installed. Is there a particular version of VM Additions I need?

I don't know what the problem could be, to be honest. I'm simply thinking about all the possible problems.

Thank you for your time and patience - This was a long topic, as I was being as specific about the problem as possible.

Have a nice day!
    use Win2K
  • Thank you for your reply and assistance, I really appreciate it.

Could you give me a more in-depth explanation?

I really want to know the cause of my problem, and if there is any way to remedy it with my current setup.
  • Thank you for your reply and assistance, I really appreciate it.

Could you give me a more in-depth explanation?

I really want to know the cause of my problem, and if there is any way to remedy it with my current setup.

tell ya what add me on skype and il help you out
    (Removed) is my account name
  • Usually whenever that "Enable digital CD audio for this device" is disabled you do not have a proper audio driver. If I recall correctly Virtual PC 2007 is emulating a Sound Blaster 16. I really don't know if it emulates that CD-AUDIO cable that went from CD-ROM drives to the back of your sound card. Historically the setup was to normally pass redbook audio directly from the CD-ROM to the sound card; the OS never cared or spent too much processing time on it.

I should note that Virtual PC has been superseded by Hyper-V. You may fare better luck with VMWare. Regardless can you screenshot the settings in relation to your virtualized optical drive and the sound card? Have you attempted to try and play a regular music CD?
  • Woah, this is from last week! Funny to see somebody having the exact same issue I'm having with the exact same 18-year-old game in only a week's time difference. I hope it's ok for me to post here, I'd like to know if this problem has been solved. I'm using Windows 98 in Virtual PC (2013 I think? But with the 2007 guest additions for win98), but I had the same problem with VirtualBox.

The game doesn't support Win2K. It relies on the old Kernel32.dll (and possible other pre-NT stuff), and won't work with an NT-based one.
  • Woah, this is from last week! Funny to see somebody having the exact same issue I'm having with the exact same 18-year-old game in only a week's time difference. I hope it's ok for me to post here, I'd like to know if this problem has been solved. I'm using Windows 98 in Virtual PC (2013 I think? But with the 2007 guest additions for win98), but I had the same problem with VirtualBox.

The game doesn't support Win2K. It relies on the old Kernel32.dll (and possible other pre-NT stuff), and won't work with an NT-based one.

Add me on skype (removed) Il walk you through some steps on how to get it working
  • Add me on skype (removed) Il walk you through some steps on how to get it working
    FYI, it is better to discuss such issues publicly on the forums so that others may benefit from the solutions.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    Add me on skype (removed) Il walk you through some steps on how to get it working
    FYI, it is better to discuss such issues publicly on the forums so that others may benefit from the solutions.
    Yes, the whole point of a forum is to exchange knowledge and discuss stuff in a public place.
    I've removed your skype nickname from your post.
  • Oh Right. Well. Id suggest he uses VMware, Vbox or Hyper-V
  • noone wrote:
    SomeGuy wrote:
    Yes, the whole point of a forum is to exchange knowledge and discuss stuff in a public place.

You removed it from WiganeseTechSupport's post and your quote of SomeGuy's post, but forgot to remove it from SomeGuy's actual post. Just an FYI.
  • BlueSun wrote:
    noone wrote:
    SomeGuy wrote:

You removed it from WiganeseTechSupport's post and your quote of SomeGuy's post, but forgot to remove it from SomeGuy's actual post. Just an FYI.
    Whoops, my bad.