Reccomendations for Emulation.

2»

Comments

• edited November 2014
    It probably depends what you are using the virtualization software for, if you are using it to test betas then use vmware/virtual pc 2007. For dos based apps, dosbox.
  • It probably dependams what you are using the virtualization software for
    dependams? Really?
  • Kirk wrote:
    dependams
    dependams? Really?
    Sorry kirk, I will fix that. I am typing on an iphone.
  • Kirk wrote:
    dependams
    dependams? Really?

Betas is what i want. but VPC2007 wont work on 8.1 without a friendly little BSOD
  • Kirk wrote:
    dependams
    dependams? Really?

Betas is what i want. but VPC2007 wont work on 8.1 without a friendly little BSOD
    Use vmware then.
  • Kirk wrote:
    dependams
    dependams? Really?

Use vmware then.

GBP
    £190.00

Not really my cup of tea paying £190 for a piece of software il maybe use 3 or 4 times a week
  • some people don't have the luxury of Hardware Virtualization
  • Use vmware then.

GBP
    £190.00

Not really my cup of tea paying £190 for a piece of software il maybe use 3 or 4 times a week
    Then use the free vmware player then. There are free trials for vmware workstation and you can find vmware product keys online. Winworld does not allow serials for non abandonware stuff so I am not giving out serials.
  • dosbox wrote:
    some people don't have the luxury of Hardware Virtualization

Most CPU's after the Intel Pentium (Sandybridge) have Intel VT-X.
    Bit still i get where your coming from I remember when I threw my Laptop because I couldn't virtualize Windows 8 Technical Preview
    Then use the free vmware player then. There are free trials for vmware workstation and you can find vmware product keys online. Winworld does not allow serials for non abandonware stuff so I am not giving out serials.

Id like to stay away from Piracy and Vmware Player doesn't work with Longhorn or Whistler (Atleast in my experience)
  • dosbox wrote:

Most CPU's after the Intel Pentium (Sandybridge) have Intel VT-X.
    Bit still i get where your coming from I remember when I threw my Laptop because I couldn't virtualize Windows 8 Technical Preview

I have a Pentium 4 (Prescott 2M), so I don't have Intel VT-X.
  • dosbox wrote:

You can find Core 2s in a dumpster nowadays. Get off that Pentium 4.
  • ampharos wrote:
    dosbox wrote:

He may want to use pentium 4 for 9x operating systems.
  • ampharos wrote:
    dosbox wrote:

He may want to use pentium 4 for 9x operating systems.
    Its a little bit daft using a P4 for 9x

Id say a P3 Maximum
  • ampharos wrote:
    dosbox wrote:

Ive seen people giving away Core i3 laptops just because they think its obsolete.
  • ampharos wrote:
    dosbox wrote:

Ive seen people giving away Core i3 laptops just because they think its obsolete.
    People should understand that core i3 isn't obsolete. Even the pentium is not obsolete.
  • ampharos wrote:
    dosbox wrote:

People should understand that core i3 isn't obsolete. Even the pentium is not obsolete.
    It's because they see adverts on the TV about new Core i5 and i7 laptops thinking that the i3 is automatically obsolete.
  • edited November 2014
    This P4 is pretty good for a lot of things. I've been running W7 with no sluggishness for quite a while now. I can play all my games with no problems.

BUT.....

I guess I can try gathering some new hardware. It's going to be a bitch to afford though.

y0c2.png

At least one of the parts are listed with a discounted price at the time of this post.
  • dosbox wrote:
    This P4 is pretty good for a lot of things. I've been running W7 with no sluggishness for quite a while now. I can play all my games with no problems.

BUT.....

I guess I can try gathering some new hardware. It's going to be a bitch to afford though.

y0c2.png

At least one of the parts are listed with a discounted price at the time of this post.
    I'd get a cheaper motherboard and maybe only a Dual Core CPU. a Pentium would be fairly cheap but you would need to change to a Intel Compatible mobo
  • I run 7 on a P3, but you can get far better than that nowadays. Look around on Craigslist, and check people whose computers you fix and that kinda thing.
  • edited November 2014
    I'd get a cheaper motherboard and maybe only a Dual Core CPU. a Pentium would be fairly cheap but you would need to change to a Intel Compatible mobo

I really don't know if a cheaper mobo would do me much good. I have my mind set on AMD hardware. I would get a Radeon but I can't find any good ones that are cheaper.
  • AMD CPUs aren't worth your time since 2006, unless you want the cheapest low-power thing possible. The new AM1 stuff looks nice for that. On anything higher, AMD can barely complete in price, and on the high-end, it's just sad.

edit: Have you considered the new strain of cheap netbooks? The specs have improved on them. If you want new (read: not a good ol' used ThinkPad) then the ASUS X205 might be good. They'll be REALLY CHEAP.
  • ampharos wrote:
    AMD CPUs aren't worth your time since 2006, unless you want the cheapest low-power thing possible. The new AM1 stuff looks nice for that. On anything higher, AMD can barely complete in price, and on the high-end, it's just sad.

edit: Have you considered the new strain of cheap netbooks? The specs have improved on them. If you want new (read: not a good ol' used ThinkPad) then the ASUS X205 might be good. They'll be REALLY CHEAP.
    Hmm, here in the Netherlands an Athlon 860K is pretty good value. In the US the 860K goes for $90, and it is a better option than the Pentium G3258 for gaming in my opinion, because the G3258 has massive/i] frame time variance. But as soon as you reach i5 levels, AMD indeed isn't worthwhile anymore. Radeons also offer some pretty decent bang for the buck. But you can't argue the GTX 980 is the fastest GPU at the moment, and the 750Ti offers a lot of power for its energy usage. At 750Ti levels, a R7 265/R9 270 does offer more performance, if your PSU can handle it.. Also, in my opinion an Athlon with overclock or an FX-4300/4350/6300 is a better choice than an i3 if you do game. i3s are pretty short on multi-threaded performance. And indeed, before the Core 2, AMD was often the better choice. AMD's APUs are also pretty OK for e.g. 720p/900p gaming, but for 1080p, it already gets slow. I am quite interested in AMD's DDR4 APUs.
  • Betas is what i want. but VPC2007 wont work on 8.1 without a friendly little BSOD

Enjoy.
  • I actually do strongly recommend AMD over Nvidia for graphics. Openness goes a long way. CPUs are a different story.
  • ampharos wrote:
    I actually do strongly recommend AMD over Nvidia for graphics. Openness goes a long way. CPUs are a different story.

I Once had a AMD Laptop. It lasted a small 5 hours before I threw it across the room.
  • ampharos wrote:
    I actually do strongly recommend AMD over Nvidia for graphics. Openness goes a long way. CPUs are a different story.

I Once had a AMD Laptop. It lasted a small 5 hours before I threw it across the room.

d3q.jpg

Do you really know how hard your parents have to work to get you laptops to destroy? Grow up man.
  • stitch wrote:
    ampharos wrote:

d3q.jpg

Do you really know how hard your parents have to work to get you laptops to destroy? Grow up man.

It was a really old crappy one though. Couldnt have costed more than what? £100 Maybe even less then that it was a hunk of junk. Not to mention the fact that it had Vista and blue screened when I installed steam to play Half-Life
  • stitch wrote:
    ampharos wrote:

It was a really old crappy one though. Couldnt have costed more than what? £100 Maybe even less then that it was a hunk of junk. Not to mention the fact that it had Vista and blue screened when I installed steam to play Half-Life

You're still acting like an ungrateful brat...

How easy can *you* earn £100 Wiganese?
  • stitch wrote:
    stitch wrote:
    ampharos wrote:

You're still acting like an ungrateful brat...

How easy can *you* earn £100 Wiganese?

I actually fix Hardware and *SOME* software problems for my mums friends. some pay upto £150 depending on how big the problem is.
  • ampharos wrote:

What a waste. Reminds me of the kids who destroy stuff because it wasn't what they want. Spoiled. If I ever did that I would have been in serious trouble for a long time at his age.