OS/2 Processors

edited December 2014 in Software
If I try to install IBM OS/2 on any modern machine or VM, I get an error saying that my processor does not support hardware acceleration. What is this, and why is it necessary? It sounds pretty useful, so why do modern machines not have it?

Comments

• http://superuser.com/questions/597121/v ... our-system

Are you talking about VT-X? If so you should be able to enable it in your BIOS on most modern systems, if it is not enabled already.
  • Kirk wrote:
    http://superuser.com/questions/597121/vt-x-amd-v-hardware-acceleration-is-not-available-on-your-system

Are you talking about VT-X? If so you should be able to enable it in your BIOS on most modern systems, if it is not enabled already.
    That link doesn't really help because I'm running Windows XP, so the answers for Windows 7 were unhelpful, as in I couldn't find this Hyper-V. Also, there is no VT-X option in my BIOS.
  • Can you screenshot the error in question? "hardware acceleration" likely means VT-X but it sounds ambiguous.

If your system does not have an option in BIOS to enable VT-x or anything labeled hardware virtualization well you're out of luck; either the CPU does not have the capability or the board disabled it. If you're running XP on XP era hardware it's likely you do not have these instructions. If it's modern you really should stop running XP.
  • I don't have a screenshot program, but when I try to boot to the install image, VBox gives me a pop-up saying:
    VT-x/AMD-V hardware acceleration is not available on your system. Certain guests (e.g. OS/2 and QNX) require this feature and will fail to boot without it.
    Then the options to close the VM or continue. If I continue, the VM is aborted without notice. I can, however, deduce from hours of contemplating the message, that hardware acceleration is not available on my system. Oh well, OS/2 sucked anyways, right?
  • I don't have a screenshot program
    That's not necessary. Just use the print screen key on your keyboard and paste it into paint.
    but when I try to boot to the install image, VBox gives me a pop-up saying:
    VT-x/AMD-V hardware acceleration is not available on your system. Certain guests (e.g. OS/2 and QNX) require this feature and will fail to boot without it.
    Then the options to close the VM or continue. If I continue, the VM is aborted without notice. I can, however, deduce from hours of contemplating the message, that hardware acceleration is not available on my system. Oh well, OS/2 sucked anyways, right?
    I've been able to emulate OS/2 on a P4 years ago, so I don't quite believe that message. Perhaps try a different emulator. Not sure if you'll have any luck with VMware player but it's also worth a try. Back in the day I used VMware workstation, old MS VirtualPC and Bochs and was able to run OS/2 just fine. Granted this was 2005.
  • Try setting the VirtualBox machine type to something other than OS/2. I used the "Solaris" type to run OS/2 1.x on a Socket A Athlon that doesn't have VT-X. Not sure what will happen if you try a version of OS/2 that actually needs VT-X.

Basically, if your hardware doesn't support VT-X, then you will need to use an emulator rather than a virtualizer. Perhaps QEMU, BOCHS, or PCEM. Or pick up a ~Pentium 1 machine from a "recycler" and install directly on real hardware. :)
  • OS\2 wants VT-X support????

I did some digging around and if your CPU has Hyper-V compatibility check and see if Hyper-V's software is installed. If it is then uninstall it and you should be able to enable VT-x/AMD-V in VBox. In all just use a different system profile.
  • I'm pretty sure VMware purple screens trying to run OS/2 without VT.