Wolfenstein Enemy Territory - Game Download Links

edited December 2014 in Software
I will be creating a thread shortly in regards to an Enemy Territory tournament. The WinWorld core community has a long history of playing Enemy Territory together over the years, and we will soon be hosting a tournament in hopes of getting more community members involved in this great legacy.

Enemy Territory is an open source first person shooter game released in 2003 by Splash Damage. While not technically abandonware by the WinWorld definition, Enemy Territory is free by nature of the fact it is open source. You can read more on the Wikipedia page.

To play, you can either use the original game binary, available for free from SplashDamage directly. Or you can play the remake version ET Legacy. People seem to have mixed opinions about which version is better \ has less problems. The games are cross compatible with each other so you can use either one.

Direct Download Links
I also have direct download links hosted on my personal server for the original Enemy Territory binaries, posted below:
Windows
Mac (+Patch)
Linux (+Patch)

Comments

• Note for ET-Legacy users: If you're installing mods on a Win7 machine or newer, fire up ET-Legacy first and go through the initial setup screen as it appears. Close the game and navigate to C:\Users\You\Documents\WolfETL. That directory will be created upon first run when you first start ET. Now from there, you can extract the Jaymod zip file straight into that directory. For custom maps put them in the etmain folder.
  • I had a hell of a time getting it to work right on my Linux box. Mostly because of PunkBuster. So here is a quick howto.

Download the two files above. Unzip the main package and run it as root. when it asks about installing punkbuster select yes.

After installing it the game's default path is /usr/local/games/enemy-territory/. Now go into the game directory and delete the et.x86 and etded.x86 files. Unzip the patch and locate the Linux binaries and copy/move them to /usr/local/games/enemy-territory/.

Now PunkBuster isn't supported for ET anymore but there is a 3rd party that has the latest/last update. With out it you'll get a bunch of GUID errors and such. To apply the patch open your favorite text editor and copy and paste this script.
    #!/bin/bash

## Copyright (C) 2011 Misanthropos - Deploy Mortar!
    ## pbupdate - for Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory
    ## combined with ETKEY get script

PBZIP=et_linux.zip
    PBHOST=www.etkey.org
    PBPATH=~/.etwolf/pb

wget "$PBHOST/$PBZIP" -O ~/$PBZIP

if [ -f ~/$PBZIP ]; then
        unzip ~/$PBZIP -d $PBPATH
        echo "Punkbuster updated."
    #    exit 0
    else
        echo "Punkbuster update FAILED!"
    fi

ETKEY=~/.etwolf/etmain/etkey

if [ -f $ETKEY ]; then
        echo "$ETKEY already exists!"
        exit 0
    fi

wget -O etkey.new http://etkey.org/distpb.php 

mv etkey.new $ETKEY

if [ -f $ETKEY ]; then
      echo ETKey generated successfully.
    else
      echo "Oh oh... ETKey NOT generated!"
    fi

save it as patch.sh and remember to chmod the file to 777.
    chmod 777 patch.sh

Remember to use this script run it as a normal user and not as root. This script will fetch the update and also generate a new ETKEY file. If the script asks about files already in the directory just tell it to replace all files. After that you'll be good to go.

Also a quick note for the sound. I know there is already a thread for it
    but I found a simple way to fix it with out screwing up ALSA.
    apt-get install alsa-oss
    modprobe snd_pcm_oss
    modprobe snd_mixer_oss

You can also add these two modules to load at boottime by adding them to your /etc/modules file.
    To use the oss emulation just create a script in your main ET directory.
    #!/bin/bash
    aoss ./et.x86

• I've also had audio issues too. On my linux install, I usually have to kill pulseaudio for audio to work properly in the game. I think I followed something similar and still didn't have audio until I killed that and it started to work.
    (Thanks Pottering for another shitty program, and people wonder why I don't want systemd on my machine too.)
  • I hate PulseAudio and prefer ALSA. Kinda hard to get OSS working in newer Linux systems these days. Since I had a mishap with my sound system I am going to give ET:L a try.
  • Well it took me a while to get LibSDL2.0.3 to work right but ET:L works like a charm in Debian Wheezy 32bit. Sound works great with out fighting OSS or PulseAudio.
  • ET: legacy won't Install on Windows 7 32bit. Several hours wasted. I am just going to go with the official 2.60b instead.

Maybe if they fix the installer I'll run it again.
  • I'm finding the installer for legacy works fine on Windows 7 x64, so far. Hmm
    Edit: When it "finished" downloading, I got an MD5 checksum error. No idea if that's what was up with yours or not, but I'm re-downloading, my internet may be a bit off today.
  • I'm finding the installer for legacy works fine on Windows 7 x64, so far. Hmm
    Edit: When it "finished" downloading, I got an MD5 checksum error. No idea if that's what was up with yours or not, but I'm re-downloading, my internet may be a bit off today.

Yes that is the error I got repeatedly for hours. Like I said, I just decided to just use the official 2.06b installer rather than trying to get ET: Legacy running.
  • Well, I let the thing install everything but the base game, then moved the 3 .pak files into Legacy's folder, and got running
  • I use the official release on my Window's PC and use Legacy on my Linux Box. I had some issues with Legacy's binary installer on my Linux box as well but it's just a simple BASH script. The script downloads Legacy's front end and also download's the official release just to extract the PAK files. I had to edit the file to download the latest release of legacy and while I was at it I changed the official release download address to a faster server's address.

Since you guys are having issues I might toss together a FTP and create a BATCH script that will download and install ET:Legacy. While im at it I can even add the maps that Kirk's server uses.
  • I managed to get ET:Legacy running with TheRedWombat's suggestion, but the game just locks my computer up. I know my computer is more than powerful enough to run it.
  • From my findings it might be because of a old release of the MS C++ Runtime files. Use the 2013 release and make sure it's the 32bit release.

Well I was a bit bored so I created a small installer that works pretty much like the ET:L Linux installer. Simple small BATCH script that downloads ET:L's latest release and also downloads the PAK files to the game. The installer included a Win32 build of wget and unzip. It installs the game into the %userprofile%\My Documents\ETLegacy and even adds a Desktop shortcut.

http://tcpmeta.duckdns.org/etl.zip