First OS?

Comments

• Oh god
    I want to say Win98 but the first i ever *actually* used was XP, i remember the login screen.
    Much too young for any MS-DOS, but i prefer old to the new now.
  • My first operating system was Windows XP. Good memories back on my old xp machine.
  • My brother's 95. 9x had so much more soul than modern Windows.
  • The first OS I ever used was Windows XP. The memories.....
  • Mine was the infamous slug - Vista
  • First: Tandy CoCo, 6809 processor,16K ram, Color Basic.
    Eventually ended up with Frankensteined floppies, HD, OS/9, extra ports, networking, sound, modem (my first BBS machine), 68000 processor, MEGS of ram, etc. (bought the base machine at a flea market as parts for $10 - it had been rescued from a flood in Florida - much cleaning and it worked amazing)

First PC OS was PC-DOS 2.x(something) went exotic and borrowed a copy of ComPAQ DOS 3.31, on an IBM clone XT - Sanyo. had NEC V20 clone 8088 processer, AND coprosser - 512K ram, HD, "Amber" monitor. (bought this as one of a repo-ed pair at a pawn shop - sold the other which covered my costs)

Last OS I gave a damn about was XP SP3, running on an overclocked P4 immersed in a plastic tub of mineral oil. (Many $thousands spent dinking with that adventure)
  • Whatever OS was on an Apple II at the time. I remember playing the Busy world of Richard Scarry game on it.
  • Windows 95, Ime only 16.
  • Windows 95, then WIndows 98 SE, run on IBM Aptiva Pentium I Machine
  • MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.10
  • 3.1 or 3.11? There was no 3.10
  • My first operation system is MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1
  • Mine was CP/M on an Osborne 1 computer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_1 ) back in the mid '80's.
  • Apple ][ DOS 3.3, and shortly after, ProDOS 8 1.0.1.
  • I made my own, i am afraid. Bare-metal octal.
  • Lots of Windows damaged people here... hhmmmm

My first computer used to run on NewDos/80. that was the EACA clone of the Tandy computer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NewDos/80
  • I believe I first used a Windows 98 computer, but I really can't remember. The first system I remember using was Windows XP, so much nostalgia.
  • Microsoft BASIC on the V-Tech LASER 128EX my parents had.

EDIT: Turns out it was a Commodore 64 with an original 1541 disk drive.

If you mean windows, it was Windows XP on some old Pentium Pro system with around 128MB of RAM or so that we used to sync iPods with. Good times, those, sitting in front of a massive beige box with a loud grinding hard disk that would sync up almost 160gb of data with devices that could fit in your pocket while this could barely fit under our desk...
  • Funny enough, my first OS was Windows 98.
    Now, it was the year 2006 (take that into account), but I fell in love using our computer from the '90s. While we weren't focused on getting the latest and greatest OS as the time (skipping Win2K, Me and XP), it gave me the appreciation of the OSes yet to come.
    However, Vista improved what 98 had to deliver.
    Strange migration, I know, but I still hold on to this fact to this day. 8)
  • My first OS was windows vista in 2008
  • My first OS was Windows XP in around 2004, but have since used Mac OS 6, 7 and 9, Windows 1, 95, 98, 2000, and Me.
  • Windows 98 SE was the first I ever used, back in late 2000. Oh, the memories :)
  • I wrote my first OS, in raw octal. I still have the final tape downstairs in a tobacco tin, it's about six feet long.

Kind of feel old, really.
  • First OS ever was ME. Yep, off to a good start, right? That PC was later upgraded to XP, and in 2006 handed over to me when my dad upgraded. I was 7 (nearing 8 ) at the time, and I remember my sister having a sleep over party (she's 3 years older), and the guys she had over were impressed that I had XP. I was the coolest kid on the block just for once!
  • Hi,

My first operating system that I actually used was Windows XP back in 2008 or around there. The reason I had xp was because I was just learning how to use a computer with a screen reader as I can't see the screen. Since then I messed with Vista which I liked quite a lot. Next, I tried Windows 7, and went up from there.
    Throughout the whole time, I had some opportunities to try Windows 98 and 95 on computers that people didn't need anymore, so they gave them to me. In particular, I remember on the Windows 95 computer that I had to use a dial-up connection to go online, and this was in 2012. It took about 2 or 3 hours just to download the 16 mb file for my screen readr.

But in general, my first OS was Windows xp.

Thanks,

Brandon
  • My first was Windows XP
  • Mine?

Windows XP SP3 on a old Dell Dimension 4400.

Specs:

1.4 GHz Pentuim 4
    786MB of DDR RAM
    40GB IDE hard drive
    nVidia GeForce 2MX

Man, that thing was s l o w, and I was still using it in 2014. I used to turn it on, and wait 15 minutes and finally it would start up.

I still have it, upgraded to 2GB of RAM running as a FTP server with Debian Linux.
  • Tandy Color Computer - the "CoCo". Color Basic, then when OS-9 hit the shelves, I ran that and every compiler they had.

Before that, TRS80 - TRS II & TRS III - have to think on that for a minute. All Z80 processors tho. "Zenix" - that was the flavor of Unix they used.

8" disks - heady times, heady times.

I mounted a CoCo motherboard AND add-on sound card/ram/expansion inside a TRS-80 keyboard - they were THAT BIG!

Another memory: I scraped that silver Tandy/Radio Shack color off the case of a CoCo, then buffed the underlying black plastic to a high sheen - it impressed fellow hackers at the local computer club meeting - I can say that! It was like I'd drove my Hemi Plymouth Fury right inside the building to all those nerdy geekazoids!

Hoo-yah!!!
  • Windows XP back when it was pretty new. My parents had a terrible Dell OptiPlex system, and I played so many games on that beast as a kid. Midtown Madness was awesome, I still have the CD for that game somewhere.
  • Windows 98FE. A custom system my uncle had a buddy build for him in the early 2000s. Connected to the web from some dial-up service called MindSpring. Spent endless hours on that thing playing Diablo II. Never saw it blue screen.