Running XP under cover of another program.

giggig
edited December 2014 in Software
I am running Win 8.1 and 10 tech preview and use Win 98 on old game pc but my 75 year old brother in law has updated to Vista but wants to find a way to use his old XP. Sometime recently I read on a tech newsletter about a software that you installed over your Win XP. The new software was updated and kept safe, keeping your Win XP running safely. I have Binged everyway I can think of but cant find anything. Maybe I was dreaming.
Anyone else know what I am remembering?
(contrary to a lot of other Windows users, I'm liking Win 8.1 and even more Win 10 Technical Preview.)

Comments

• gig wrote:
    I am running Win 8.1 and 10 tech preview and use Win 98 on old game pc but my 75 year old brother in law has updated to Vista but wants to find a way to use his old XP. Sometime recently I read on a tech newsletter about a software that you installed over your Win XP. The new software was updated and kept safe, keeping your Win XP running safely. I have Binged everyway I can think of but cant find anything. Maybe I was dreaming.
    Anyone else know what I am remembering?
    (contrary to a lot of other Windows users, I'm liking Win 8.1 and even more Win 10 Technical Preview.)

I think you may be referring to a virtual machine.

Since you (or your brother-in-law rather) is using Vista, I would recommend Microsoft Virtual PC 2007.

If you don't know what a virtual machine is, it's a program that allows you to run a virtual operating system over your current one, without ever modifying your physical Windows OS.