Cant install operating systems

edited December 2014 in Software
Hi
I have downloaded win 2000 and win 1.0 from this link https://winworldpc.com/
Then copied to CD then tried to boot up from CD in my other laptop
But they wont boot it just goes stright to my OS on HDD
I know the CD drive dose boot coz I have an original of vista which boots up stright away

Comments

• Batista230 wrote:
    I know the CD drive dose boot coz I have an original of vista which boots up stright away

Gross. Please type proper words here.

Anyway you're burning them incorrectly for Windows 1.x you need to actually write them to floppy images and use on top of a DOS install and for 2000 you need to burn the ISO image proper to the disc.

We have pages with more information on the library page they're floppy and CD images respectively.
  • Also if the system is UEFI then you're out of luck for those two. Make sure you have the option to boot from CD enabled in the BIOS.
  • OK straight not stright sorry

First win 1.0
    I don't have a floppy drive or have DOS pre installed so that's that

win 2000
    windows media player wont let me burn 7z files so that's the end to that

No I do have legacy as well as UEFI

Don't know how long this is going to take before my post becomes live
    Have read the library and all I could find was this

All software in our collection is archived in the 7z format using 7-Zip 9 for optimal compression. 7-Zip is a free, open-source archival utility, and we recommend using it for extracting any files downloaded from our software library.

Some archives, particularly applications containing PC floppy images, will be in a raw image format (.img). On Windows, WinImage, or rawrite32 can be used to extract contents or write images to physical floppies. On *nix systems (including Mac OS X) you can mount images, and write images to disk using commands similar to the ones below.
    $ dd if=/path/to/disk.img of=/dev/fd0 dd bs=2x80x18b

Writes floppy image to Linux first floppy
    $ mount -t loop /path/to/disk.img /mnt/floppy

Mounts disk image into folder /mnt/floppy
    $ mount -t loop -o ro /path/to/disk.img /mnt/floppy

Mounts disk image into folder /mnt/floppy in read only mode.
  • Why won't it work with UEFI? Secure Boot? You can disable that. That new UEFI way of booting? Shouldn't a proper UEFI support some 'legacy mode' or something to boot from BIOS devices? Or, with some tweaking, create a wrapper? Just some ideas, don't know why you say it isn't possible with a UEFI.
  • If the UEFI has a legacy boot option it should work but most UEFI systems I have played with doesn't like using older OSes.
  • Windows 2000: The Windows 2000 ISO is in the .7z!

Windows 1: Windows 1 definitely will not run at all on modern systems without an emulator.

It should be pretty easy to get Windows 1 running in Dosbox.
  • Ya, if you want to be able to run Windows 1.x on your computer, you can install dosbox. Here is a tutorial.

Also to install Windows 2000 you need to first extract the ISO file by using 7zip. Then you need to burn the ISO file to a CD, I recommend using http://www.freeisoburner.com/. Also here is a couple tips if you are installing Windows 2000:
    Get the serial for the Windows 2000 version.
    Get all the desired drivers for your system. (Like eathernet card driver, sound driver, and graphics driver etc.) You can find this by typing the name of the mother board into google...
    And finally install something other than ie5, the highest version you can install is 10 for most browsers.
  • The win 2000 version 5.00.2195 325.88 MB is corrupt!
    It hangs in the middle of installing
  • Batista230 wrote:
    The win 2000 version 5.00.2195 325.88 MB is corrupt!
    Ya, ran into the same problem when I did my install of windows 2000, try windows 2000 sp1 5.00.2195.1.
  • birdy wrote:
    Batista230 wrote:
    The win 2000 version 5.00.2195 325.88 MB is corrupt!
    Ya, ran into the same problem when I did my install of windows 2000, try windows 2000 sp1 5.00.2195.1.

Installed this one now
    Windows 2000 Professional (Upgrade) Upgrade 5.00.2195.1 327.42 MB English x86-32 CD-ROM ISO

And as before it hangs at 'setup is starting windows 2000'
    Is there actually anything that works on this site???
  • First of all. Why would you want to install windows 2000 on a computer with UEFI. The technology is new and shouldnt be pushed aside for a operating system long past its useby date. I suggest just using the normal Windows 8/8.1 and using VirtualBox (Download http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualb ... 97-Win.exe)
  • If it hangs that's a problem with whatever hardware you're installing on, because I just fresh downloaded it and it works fine for me.
  • Is that the same Acer aspire E 15 ES1-512-C5YW laptop you mention in the other thread? There are probably a dozen things preventing that from working Mostly involving the lack of IDE, and a larger hard drive that it may have issues with.

Even if you do somehow get it installed, you won't be able to find SATA drivers, video drivers, network drivers, or anything else.

BTW, that Win2000 CD ISO doesn't look authentic, but it doesn't appear corrupt. Probably could use a redump from a known source.

I wouldn't try anything less than the SP4 CD though.
  • Why do I get the feeling that by re-reading your post my IQ is going down slowly. Your Computer is too new. and personally i think we're being played like idiots. This Has to be a troll thread or he is a "IdiotVille" kid? (What is Idiotville btw? I've seen it mentioned alot)
  • PCNerd2014 wrote:
    Why do I get the feeling that by re-reading your post my IQ is going down slowly. Your Computer is too new. and personally i think we're being played like idiots. This Has to be a troll thread or he is a "IdiotVille" kid? (What is Idiotville btw? I've seen it mentioned alot)

The board's censor list replaces a certain site's name with IdiotVille.
  • If it hangs that's a problem with whatever hardware you're installing on, because I just fresh downloaded it and it works fine for me.

Jus tried booting it from the hp laptop Im running now
    still hangs in the same place; no good my friend

PCNerd2014 wrote:
    Why do I get the feeling that by re-reading your post my IQ is going down slowly. Your Computer is too new. and personally i think we're being played like idiots. This Has to be a troll thread or he is a "IdiotVille" kid? (What is Idiotville btw? I've seen it mentioned alot)

I think you are the trouble maker hear
  • dosbox wrote:
    PCNerd2014 wrote:

The board's censor list replaces a certain site's name with IdiotVille.
    Maybe he is just really new to OS and what the limitations are. But I feel you on that though, maybe we are being played. And IdotVille stands for this site.
  • birdy wrote:
    And IdotVille stands for this site.

I know that.
  • Batista230 wrote:
    I think you are the trouble maker hear

lolno

So far, admins have no problem with him AFAIK

By the way, an English class would benefit you immensely.
  • Listen No offense but anyone wanting to install Windows 2000 on brand new technology is a little bit dumb. Why do you want it as the main os on a brand mew laptop anyway? its a lttle bit dumb. I'd just use a virtualization program such as VMware Player or Virtualbox
  • I can understand wanting to see how the OS performs and handles on baremetal, but you're going to need older metal, so to speak. Head over to eBay and price out a suitable rig of that era and install 2000 on that.

Otherwise, as others have suggested, virtualize it.
  • There are perfectly valid reasons for wanting or needing to run an older OS on newer hardware - but you have to do your homework to find out what is compatible. Doubly so for laptops since you can't change out the parts.

I have a ~1999 Compaq laptop, and THAT won't even run Windows 95 right. All of their drivers require Windows 98.

On the other hand, I have been able to install Windows 95 on several motherboards that are only a few years old. But these are desktop systems where I can easily add compatible PCI video, storage, networking, etc cards.
  • A nice computer for him would be a old Dell or Toshiba Laptop he wont get anywhere with the tech he has