intallling win 95

edited January 2015 in Software
trying to install Microsoft Windows 95B (4.00.1111.osr2) (CD)
And get this message

Device name :MSCD001
No drives found, aborting installation

Device driver not found: 'MSCD001'
no vailid CDROM device drivers selected
Invalid drive specification
Invalid directory
Bad cammand or file name

what dose it mean?

Comments

• Batista230 wrote:
    CD-ROM device drivers for IDE (Four Channels supported)
    (C) copyright oak tecnology inc 1993-1996
    Drive Version: V340
    Device name :MSCD001
    No drives found, aborting installation

Device driver not found: 'MSCD001'
    no vailid CDROM device drivers selected
    Invalid drive specification
    Invalid directory
    Bad cammand or file name
    What type of computer are trying to install Windows 95 on? Is it a virtual machine? What is your computer specs? Because it seems that it can't find certain drivers for it to install properly.
  • All I can tell you it is a acer aspire E 15 start
    ES1-512-C5YW laptop
  • You're laptop is way to new. Just google'd the model and its too new by about 20 or so years.

Install this program http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualb ... 97-Win.exe

and search for a tutorial or the post made on these fourms and that should help you
  • If Google is telling me right, that is a fairly "modern" laptop. Which means it probably won't run anything other than what Microsoft tells them to let it run. Which in this case looks like only Windows 8.1. I would be mildly surprised if you could even get Windows 7 on these "modern" pieces of crap.

You won't get very far with Win9x on one of these.

You should consider instead using a virtualizer like VirtualBox, VM Ware, or Virtual PC, or an emulator like PCEm or QEMU.

But, at any rate, it almost certainly has an SATA controller rather than IDE. The Win9x CD drivers only know about IDE CD-ROM drives.

Does yours have an internal CD-ROM?

*IF* yours has in internal SATA CD-ROM you may be able to enter your BIOS/Firmware setup and enable IDE emulation. That would get you a little further. USB CD drives won't work. At least not like that.
  • Batista230 wrote:
    All I can tell you it is a acer aspire E 15 start
    ES1-512-C5YW laptop
    Oh lord that is way to new of a computer to install windows 95 on. Windows 9.x can not install on a hard disk more than 2GB.
    If you really wanted to run windows 95 on your computer you could install it on a flash drive. Here is a tutorial: one or google search it.
    SomeGuy wrote:
    You should consider instead using a virtualizer like VirtualBox, VM Ware, or Virtual PC, or an emulator like PCEm or QEMU.
    I second this. You could also install windows 95 on dosbox...
  • birdy wrote:
    Batista230 wrote:
    All I can tell you it is a acer aspire E 15 start
    ES1-512-C5YW laptop
    Oh lord that is way to new of a computer to install windows 95 on. Windows 9.x can not install on a hard disk more than 2GB.
    If you really wanted to run windows 95 on your computer you could install it on a flash drive. Here is a tutorial: one or google search it.
    SomeGuy wrote:
    I second this. You could also install windows 95 on dosbox...

Windows 95 uses FAT16 (which is limited to 2GB, although I have seen 4GB partitions formatted with FAT16). Windows 98 and 98SE uses FAT32, but it does not support LBA48 so you can only make use of 137GB at most.

The OP either needs an old computer, or a copy of DOSBox.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    If Google is telling me right, that is a fairly "modern" laptop. Which means it probably won't run anything other than what Microsoft tells them to let it run. Which in this case looks like only Windows 8.1. I would be mildly surprised if you could even get Windows 7 on these "modern" pieces of crap.
    I had to have a FAT32 NFTS bootmeg installed so I could install win vista on it

SomeGuy wrote:
    Does yours have an internal CD-ROM?

*IF* yours has in internal SATA CD-ROM you may be able to enter your BIOS/Firmware setup and enable IDE emulation. That would get you a little further. USB CD drives won't work. At least not like that.

The BIOS tell us it is a InsydeH20 and we have the following

HDD: WDC WD5000LPVX-220VOTT0
    ATAP I CDROM: matshita DVD-RAM UJ8HC
    network boot: real tek PXE B03 D00 (what ever thats for)
    USB HDD
    USB FDD
    USB CDROM

And booting from legacy at the moment not UEFI
    And SATA mode is AHCI mode (no other options)

BIOS/Firmware setup???
  • Windows 95 OSR2 can also use FAT32. Some third party Win9x IDE and SATA drivers support LBA48, enabling them to use drives up to 2 TB.

But I have encountered a nasty non-lba related wrap around bug when writing to individual partitions larger than 127GB in real DOS mode. (Doesn't matter where on the drive the partition is) So I would recommend keeping individual partitions under that size.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    Windows 95 OSR2 can also use FAT32.

I know that.
    SomeGuy wrote:
    Some third party Win9x IDE and SATA drivers support LBA48, enabling them to use drives up to 2 TB.

Interesting. I almost forgot there were ever was 3rd party SATA support for Win9x.
  • Fact is the CPU is probably too new aswell. I've had problems installing Windows 98 on a old P4 machine so I doubt it would work on a modern day system like that without virtualization software ontop of Windows [Insert Version Name Here] and just run it that way. i think the guy is a troll and is doing this to waste time
  • PCNerd2014 wrote:
    Fact is the CPU is probably too new aswell. I've had problems installing Windows 98 on a old P4 machine so I doubt it would work on a modern day system like that without virtualization software ontop of Windows [Insert Version Name Here] and just run it that way. i think the guy is a troll and is doing this to waste time
    No! what I think is non of you will ever admit to the OS for download on this site to be complete and utter crap!
    so you just resort to bigotry

I am current installing Linux on the laptop so I'm more likely to be bothering with that then this anymore
  • I used the Windows 2000 SP4 iso not too long ago and it worked fine. Yes, there are archives that have not worked in the past and needed replacement and I'm sure there will be more.

However these are products designed for older systems. You have a modern Window 8 EFI based system. Valid points about hardware support were made above. If you refuse to believe that and just want to be a whiny bitch about how none of our offerings are working I will be more than happy to show you and your inability to use a god damn spell check the door. Batista230 this is your only warning.
  • Batista230 wrote:
    PCNerd2014 wrote:
    Fact is the CPU is probably too new aswell. I've had problems installing Windows 98 on a old P4 machine so I doubt it would work on a modern day system like that without virtualization software ontop of Windows [Insert Version Name Here] and just run it that way. i think the guy is a troll and is doing this to waste time
    No! what I think is non of you will ever admit to the OS for download on this site to be complete and utter crap!

I am current installing Linux on the laptop so I'm more likely to be bothering with that then this anymore

If they are so bad, then why are you here?

I have downloaded lots of software from the WinWorld library and if something goes wrong with my use of it it is usually user error. Please stop moaning.
  • Batista230 wrote:

So... you know of a 95 or 2000 CD image that can magically install fine on that "modern" piece of Chinese black sludge you call a laptop? Please do tell me where I can get that.
  • 7812.png

Hmmm...

Try VM software. Laptops like yours would probably have trouble with XP, never mind 9x.
  • No! what I think is non of you will ever admit to the OS for download on this site to be complete and utter crap!

:roll:

falcon-punch-need-a-stronger-computer_o_954280.gif
  • It means; 'There = no CD driver', what I did was use 'LapLink' from DOS6 (& also on this site), to copy from 1other computer, then run that copy, After getting W'95 going, it'll use its own drivers for CD.
    TECISTUF.TXT
    DOS sees drives in 2- or 3-dimentions, track, sector, & maybe, sides. CD's = just 1 track in a sparel. So 'undocumented' DOS used for net-work drive, even if CD inside computer.

Or maybe get W'XP start-up floppy, (=W'ME), or W'98, &+ some luck, it'll install its CD driver.
  • Dont bother with this guy he is trying to get attention but failed.
  • PCNerd2014 wrote:
    Dont bother with this guy he is trying to get attention but failed.

I'm sorry if there's any drama backstory here you need to back the fuck out of bringing it here right now.