Linus Torvalds Says GNOME Terminal on Fedora 21 Is Using

edited January 2015 in Software
Linus Torvalds Says GNOME Terminal on Fedora 21 Is Using "Emo" Mode

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Linus-Torvalds-Says-GNOME-Terminal-on-Fedora-21-Is-Using-Emo-Mode-468893.shtml
Linus Torvalds is not one to shy away from saying what he thinks and he apparently doesn't have a too good opinion on what the terminal app looks like by default in the latest Fedora 21.

Fedora 21 was just released a few weeks ago and the general consensus is that it's a really good and reliable system. Linus Torvalds is using Fedora on his machine and he just updated his distro to the new version. As you can imagine, not everything was to his liking and he had a few observations to make.

Comments

• Doesn't look that bad to me.
  • Anyone have a screenshot?

I'm not too opposed to darker terminals mine's in a black bg/green fg configuration.
  • There's a screen shot on that page:

Linus-Torvalds-Says-GNOME-Terminal-on-Fedora-21-Is-Using-Emo-Mode-468893-2.jpg
  • How in the fuck did I miss that.... time for more coffee.

That's not a bad terminal configuration. Terminals are for power users and power users are often staring for hours into their things so white backgrounds will hurt more quickly than dark backgrounds.

It's still GNOME though. Ew.
  • I think having a dark theme is a good idea. not only is it easier on the eyes, but it also consumes less power than brighter colored themes.
  • dosbox wrote:
    I think having a dark theme is a good idea. not only is it easier on the eyes, but it also consumes less power than brighter colored themes.

This is only significant with OLED and I do not think many laptops/LCD panels are using this outside of phones/tablets.
  • Funny thing, that screen shot looks OK to me, and my display is a bit darker than most.

Can't be arsed to look at the moment, but doesn't the GNOME terminal let you set color and font preferences?