An Issue with Windows ME Retail Full.

edited January 2015 in Site Issues
I downloaded this image of Windows ME (https://winworldpc.com/download/17BB8CA ... 04A6F17893) and have run into a snag. The image will extract fine (i used 7-Zip) and appears to be detected in VMware as Windows ME while creating the virtual machine, however, i cannot boot to this image. I get the standard "Could not read from the boot medium. System halted" error on virtualbox, and in VMware it isn't detected at all and tries to boot to the network, however, the OEM Full version of ME works perfectly fine on Virtualbox and VMware, is it corrupted?

Comments

• The disc doesn't appear to be bootable, whoever ripped it initially must have made a mistake (or its a straight file dump put back into an iso), if you used the ME setup floppy that should get you going.

The iso can probably be tweaked to be made bootable so I'll poke around with that at a later point.
  • That was a recent contribution by ibmpc5150.
  • Interesting, it never really occurred to me before, but only Windows 98/ME OEM Full CDs are bootable. The others are intended to be booted from a floppy disk. Apparently even the "select" media is not bootable.
  • Actually... pretty sure I have an ME disc I can just rip I'll look and report back, I *believe* it was bootable.

Update: Yeah I have a bootable disc, but I'm not sure how to tell what distribution channel it was made for, its only a copy and I can't remember where the original was sourced from.
  • Probably most people that think it is bootable remember the more common OEM versions that came with their computers.

Of course, I always used my own highly customized boot floppy filled with extra tools. :)
  • edited January 2015
    All Windows 95/98/98SE/ME Retail version and MSDN are Not bootable from CD/DVD.
    Retail full version must be setup from Floppy boot.
    It is normal not issue.
    Only OEM full version is bootable from CD/DVD except Windows 95.

If you want to setup, download boot disk from the URL.

http://www.allbootdisks.com/download/me.html
  • I have seen those, but they are not genuine images. As you say they "must be modified". :)
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    I have seen those, but they are not genuine images. As you say they "must be modified". :)

Yes, that's right, hehehe.
  • Windows NT4 = bootable.
    I've Windows ME CD, says 'for sale only + new computer', = bootable.
  • AndrewH7 wrote:
    Windows NT4 = bootable.
    I've Windows ME CD, says 'for sale only + new computer', = bootable.

I can't understand why you said about NT4.
    This thread is for Windows Retail Full not for NT.

Also You must know Windows ME 'for sale only + new computer' is OEM version not Retail.