DOS on modern day networks

edited January 2015 in Software
We all know how hard it is to get DOS to enjoy a TCP/IP stack with out eating up resources on older systems. I came across mTCP, a super lite weight TCP/IP stack that was made for super old systems such as the IBM PCjr. This TCP/IP stack even works in DOSBox. The only problem like everything else is hardware support. You're on your own to find a packet driver for the network card.

This is a keeper for sure for my next BootCD project.

Comments

• That is a pretty cool project. For a while Mike Brutman was running his web site off of his PCJr, and it worked amazingly well.

For most 8088/286/386/486 PC desktops you can simplify things just by using a generic NE-2000 compatible ISA card, those things were common as dirt for a while. But for a PCJr, that is an entirely different bag of worms :shock:
  • I know, guess anything can happen when you dedicate enough time to a project. I think he used that little Parallel port to Ethernet adapter on the PCjr. Then again I looked at his mods and such and he has a IDE drive in a sidecar box on a PCjr. He might of fabricated a custom NE2000 for it.