Windows Vista In the Future?

edited March 2015 in Software
Obviously you can't upload Vista files right now without breaking the law, but I was wondering if, since everyone hated Vista, you'll be able to upload it when support ends? I heard about how too many people use XP for it to be abandonware yet, but I bet the number of Vista users is low enough for it to meet abandonware standards right now!

Comments

• It's not low enough yet. Vista's market share is still about 2.9%. It also has another two years of support left.

I think it would still be a while after that before it'd be considered abandonware.
  • It's way to early to even think about that.

Sites like this exist to help preserve and make avaialble software and documentation that is in danger of ceasing to exist or become inaccessible.

Vista is certainly not in that category. How many were sold? Bazillions? Vista CDs will be found in every nook and cranny for a thousand years.

Personally I'm much more worried about the software that sold in the thousands or even hundreds and now is virtually unobtainable.
  • Yeah. Good point. Just googled Vista cd, and I found hundreds of people selling them. Won't need a download for that for a long time.
  • It'll be interesting to see what happens when Vista onwards become considered "abandonware" due to the DRM.
  • Since DRM will always cause problems, somebody should try to archive something that will circumvent it.
  • SomeGuy has summed up the majority vision of the site pretty well. I'm not at all concerned about Windows Vista disappearing in the years to come. As far as major releases go like this and Windows 2000 when introduced, it's a through decision with many aspects put into play. I'm not even going to start to think about this.

Nothing beyond XP is going to come for a long time so I really wish people would stop making these topics. With as many times as I have had to address new versions of Windows beyond XP it feels like I am talking to walls at this point.
  • dosbox wrote:
    Since DRM will always cause problems, somebody should try to archive something that will circumvent it.
    Or people could stop accepting brain-damaged DRMed junk in the first place. But that would be too easy. :)
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    dosbox wrote:
    Since DRM will always cause problems, somebody should try to archive something that will circumvent it.
    Or people could stop accepting brain-damaged DRMed junk in the first place. But that would be too easy. :)

The copyright nazis would get their panties in a knot if that happened.
  • Even after Vista leaves its support phase, it'll still readily run most current applications, thus making it not worthy of abandonware status.

It'll be interesting to see how MS handles new product activations in the distant future, the anytime upgrade feature for Vista and 7 no longer functions, is it only a matter of time (a decade or so) before Vista will no longer activate?
  • Well, I suggession to move this topic to other thread. (Software or other?)

This thread is for Request/Offer abandonware software not for non abandonware (Commenrcial software).
    Vista is still non abandonware, so there is no reason to discuss about its topic on here.
    If anyone want to discuss this topic, I recommend to movie this topic to other thread.
  • ShadowProphet, you can download Windows Vista legally! :lol: You gotta do this;
    • 1. Search on Google for a .iso file of Windows Vista, but without key or hack! Otherwise, you're thief.
    • 2. You can also ask someone for the DVD, but without the key.
    • 3. After you've borrowed the disk or downloaded it, search for a key on Google.
    • 4. Then install like you would do normally.
    • 5. That's it!

I know, you're properly thinking: What the hell, some of those noobies thinks that he knows the solution, but he doesn't! This is illegal too, you moron!
    Well, here's the deal:

A few years ago I was looking on topics of the official Microsoft forum. Funny, because the topic was also about Windows Vista. Anyway, someone lost his Windows Vista DVD, but he had still the key. Then Microsoft said:
    You can download a copy of the DVD, if you still have the key. The conditions are that one, the DVD must not content a crack or a Windows key (legit or not), and two, Microsoft is not responsible for any damage.
    And, as we all know, the internet is exploding of Windows keys. You can do this actually at every version (also Windows 8.1!), but if you want Windows 7 or higher, don't be loser and just buy it. Trust me, you feel a lot better then downloading. And you don't have to be scared for the NSA or something! :mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • ShadowProphet, you can download Windows Vista legally! :lol: You gotta do this;
    • 1. Search on Google for a .iso file of Windows Vista, but without key or hack! Otherwise, you're thief.
    • 2. You can also ask someone for the DVD, but without the key.
    • 3. After you've borrowed the disk or downloaded it, search for a key on Google.
    • 4. Then install like you would do normally.
    • 5. That's it!

I know, you're properly thinking: What the hell, some of those noobies thinks that he knows the solution, but he doesn't! This is illegal too, you moron!
    Well, here's the deal:

A few years ago I was looking on topics of the official Microsoft forum. Funny, because the topic was also about Windows Vista. Anyway, someone lost his Windows Vista DVD, but he had still the key. Then Microsoft said:
    You can download a copy of the DVD, if you still have the key. The conditions are that one, the DVD must not content a crack or a Windows key (legit or not), and two, Microsoft is not responsible for any damage.
    And, as we all know, the internet is exploding of Windows keys. You can do this actually at every version (also Windows 8.1!), but if you want Windows 7 or higher, don't be loser and just buy it. Trust me, you feel a lot better then downloading. And you don't have to be scared for the NSA or something! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Last time I checked, Microsoft would say "your SOL, buy a new copy". I got that answer when my mother's PC came with a offer to receive a free Vista upgrade for her desktop. After a few weeks she found out the printer that was bought at the same time as she bought the PC wasn't compatible with Vista she wanted XP back on the system. Since Vista took over the recover partition she had no copy of XP to speak of. So I called HP and they told me to call Microsoft. I called Microsoft and they told me to buy a new copy.
  • Hello guys!
    TCPMeta wrote:
    Last time I checked, Microsoft would say "your SOL, buy a new copy". I got that answer when my mother's PC came with a offer to receive a free Vista upgrade for her desktop. After a few weeks she found out the printer that was bought at the same time as she bought the PC wasn't compatible with Vista she wanted XP back on the system. Since Vista took over the recover partition she had no copy of XP to speak of. So I called HP and they told me to call Microsoft. I called Microsoft and they told me to buy a new copy.

Jeez, why did they so jerky!? Because I swear that I've read that. Serious. But you guys can always use my solution (and my copy of SOL.EXE :lol::lol: )!

Happy computing,
    JasoNMas73R
  • Thing is, for an OS to be considered abandonware, it must have a market-share of 0% AND be unsupported

Vista's market-share as of February 2015 is 2.11%. That's higher than OS X 10.9's market-share, and Mavericks was only released in 2013! And may I also mention that Vista is still supported, and even when it is unsupported, a lot of applications will still work with it, like what happened with XP

So, yeah, you won't be seeing anything from XP and up anytime soon.
  • Hypothesys wrote:
    Thing is, for an OS to be considered abandonware, it must have a market-share of 0% AND be unsupported
    Although the main point is valid, a market share of 0% is unrealistic to achieve. For example, I'm pretty sure some enterprise environments (a vast minority) still use Windows 2000. Although they shouldn't.
  • Hypothesys wrote:
    Thing is, for an OS to be considered abandonware, it must have a market-share of 0% AND be unsupported
    Although the main point is valid, a market share of 0% is unrealistic to achieve. For example, I'm pretty sure some enterprise environments (a vast minority) still use Windows 2000. Although they shouldn't.

One of our clients is actually still running Windows 98.