WIndows XP Ultimate edition (By Johnny), Can I upload?

edited May 2015 in Software
I am aware that you can not upload windows XP yet, but Windows XP ultimate edition is a hacked version of XP, Almost like Longhorn, as it is part Vista, and that is available. It is at from 2007, but got updated all the way to 2010, when production stopped. It was rarely used, and most users have now abandoned it, other than some fun on VPC's. This version is now only downloadable through insecure torrents, due to the lack of people who actually downloaded it before it vanished off the face of the earth. I am one of the few who owns a copy from 2008, when the OS was relatively stable, and i wanted to share it with the WinWorld. Considering that Microsoft no longer cares about XP, and there are more than a few sites to get a clean download, I think that it should be allowed to upload.

Comments

• Hell no you can't.

We don't want hackjobs of any sorts. I've even purged out all-in-one ISO's to comply with this. There's no reason to preserve this because few people ever use these hack jobs anyway. They're not usable for any day to day, contain very little the average user can not install afterwords and can be broken with who knows what due to random modifications by usually inexperienced people.
  • stitch wrote:
    Hell no you can't.

We don't want hackjobs of any sorts. I've even purged out all-in-one ISO's to comply with this. There's no reason to preserve this because few people ever use these hack jobs anyway. They're not usable for any day to day, contain very little the average user can not install afterwords and can be broken with who knows what due to random modifications by usually inexperienced people.
    I actually *may* have a copy of NT 4.0 all-in-one from WinWorld before they removed it. I also recall Windows 2000 Powered being here before stitch removed it. So why did you remove it? I see no reason, even though it's unofficial, like 7.1 is still here: https://winworldpc.com/product/ms-dos/7x. Also afterwords is not a word, should be afterwards
  • It's because things like that are garbage. We have all of the NT releases proper so why keep a hackjob around that adds no value?

I keep the DOS 7.1 thing around because it's an easy standalone but I can probably fulfill that with various bootdisks.

I don't like garbage. On that note, cdintray, I'm pretty sure I know exactly what dumb BA kid you are so guess what I think of you? If I see even one dumb bitmap topic come out of you I will tie you to a jet-ski, tie a brick to the accelerator and send you down the river of dumb that way.
  • It is also because such things are not historically significant or of any use to those trying to restore or demonstrate vintage hardware.

History does not care about some Windows 2000 CD that some kid hacked up to look like Windows 7.

Someone trying to demonstrate NT 4 on a DEC Alpha machine will probably have no use for some "custom" cd, that likely strips out all non i386 versions. And even if it didn't, when some problem crops up, you can't reliably compare issues from existing knowledge bases, because there could be unknown issues with the custom image.

Occasionally, a modified version can serve some important function to the community. But in those cases differences should be well implemented and documented so that it is not really a "hackjob".
  • I hate these hackjob releases that are floting around. I had gotten a hold of a copy of XP from a PC I bought from a thrift store, it was in the CD tray. I used it one day and granted it was updated with SP3 and updated drivers but it loaded up a ton of hacked registry values that caused issues and I had to manually fix, loaded up with some lame software that I had to remove and so on.

Now there are some that are great but they're mostly aimed for custom hardware or a special software spec for say business use so a tech doesn't have to carry and use a stack of CDs or jump drives to restore/install.

Honestly, why does everyone want XP? As much as I didn't want to migrate from XP I had no choice to update to 7 because the software and hardware I use/need doesn't like XP unless im lucky enough to find a Open Source version that works in Linux.

WinWorld goes by true Abandonware specs. We only issue copies that are from the manufacturer and if there is a updated version from the manufacturer we host it as well as long as it is listed as Abandonware.
  • Its literally a hacked up XP with a Vista skin.... why the hell do people use this garbage?

It serves no purpose here, but the "Ghost XP" things that are big in china are somewhat amusing to poke around with, merely to see how much mangling is done to make the installation process as automated as possible.
  • This has all the functionality of windows XP and vista. You can install programs and its fit for everyday use. It should not qualify for a poor quality hack job.
  • andreja6 wrote:
    This has all the functionality of windows XP and vista. You can install programs and its fit for everyday use. It should not qualify for a poor quality hack job.

It is certainly a poor quality hack job and we will not be carrying this or anything like this. If it's Windows it better come directly from Microsoft or an authorized 3rd party (Citrix, Mainsoft, etc).
  • Is there a good solid difference between a hackjob and a slipstream?
  • Slipstreams just include updates, hackjobs some crap apps, themes, and likely included cracks.
  • ampharos wrote:
    Slipstreams just include updates, hackjobs some crap apps, themes, and likely included cracks.
    From my unfourtinate experience with hackjobs, they can even include malware, adware, and spyware. :(

Windows XP Ultimate Edition is only a cracked version of Windows with what appears to be a free Windows Vista transformation pack preinstalled, and a some broke registry keys and missing files/programs.
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    Honestly, why does everyone want XP? As much as I didn't want to migrate from XP I had no choice to update to 7 because the software and hardware I use/need doesn't like XP unless im lucky enough to find a Open Source version that works in Linux

Well, WinXP/2003 is the very last Windows version that could be easily tweaked and modified into being safe. Anything afterwards the NSA has it's filthy paw in.

Just look how Vista removed the classic network traffic icon from the bottom-right corner of the screen; they didn't want people to notice phantom connections going on and off all the time.

There's also the problem of useless, potentially dangerous, perpetually open ports that can't be shut down without sacrificing system usability and stability. XP has none of it.

Newer Windows' were also designed to be unnecessarily sluggish on purpose. It's no longer "how can we make this thing more efficient to allow users to get the best out of their hardware?" but "how can we make this thing slower so that people throw away perfectly functional, powerful-enough hardware and blow a bunch of money on a newer PC manufactured by a company that sealed a backdoor deal with us".

Lower level access to certain devices such as floppy disk drives is impossible in newer Windows', and compatibility with legacy XP/9x software is worthless and achieved only by exceeding poor emulation.

The list goes on and on.

Fortunately all the software I need runs ok on XP, so I cling on to it.

Nevertheless, these modified XP distributions have no reason to exist and are aimed towards people who shouldn't be allowed near computers to begin with.
  • Please remove the tinfoil hat.
  • Really? XP was terrible when it was new, terrible in its prime, and terrible now. I remember the wormfests in 2004. Incredibly insecure when it came out, stil is, and also slow compared to newer/older Windows. You have no reason to not run Windows 7 at least, and for anything vintage, just run a suitable "vintage" Windows.
  • ampharos wrote:
    Incredibly insecure when it came out, stil is

Indeed, and that's why I specifically stated "that could be easily tweaked and modified into being safe".
    ampharos wrote:
    and also slow compared to newer/older Windows

That's not even technically possible because of the minimum system requirements. E.g. I have an ancient 1.5ghz Celeron-powered laptop with 192mb of RAM which's perfectly responsive and capable of displaying smooth SD youtube video from Opera 12.14; go ahead, install Win7 on that thing and watch it smoke.

You could make the case with a fresh, clean, fine tuned Win7 installation against a WinXP's plagued with viruses, spyware and all matter of junk cluttering up the startup, but that's as far as I'm going.
    ampharos wrote:
    You have no reason to not run Windows 7 at least, and for anything vintage, just run a suitable "vintage" Windows.

I have many reasons to stay away from any Windows OS past XP/2003, some of them already listed above, but the bigger one: WinXP still does everything I need it to do and does it well.
  • Yeah, except that Celeron is better off running 98 or 2000, and my Core 2 and i5 are better off running 8.1. Even then, 7 is sprightly on my P3.

If you're actually concerned about things phoning home, you're better off actually looking for it, as the network icon would blink for trivial events like IM/SSH/omgwtfbbq clients, network participation, and such. Even then, why would they make it obvious and detectable, and hide it in something like a rootkit? If you're that concerned, why are you running proprietary software in the first place?

XP was shit then, and it'll always be shit. Newer Windows do everything XP does, better. Simple as that.
  • InsertDisk wrote:
    Just look how Vista removed the classic network traffic icon from the bottom-right corner of the screen; they didn't want people to notice phantom connections going on and off all the time.

Um... no.

By default, Vista disables the activity lights on the network icon, but the network icon is still there and you can easily re-enable the activity lights by simply right clicking on the icon and clicking on "Turn on activity animation"

It's worth noting that this feature was introduced with Windows 2000 (I don't believe ME had it, but I could be wrong) and disabled by default with XP as well. So you really only had like 3 versions of Windows that even had this feature and only 1 that had it on by default and even then I'm not sure it was enabled by default with 2000.

Windows 7 was the first to switch it to a static icon, but you can easily re-add the functionality with third party applications like this: http://www.itsamples.com/network-activi ... cator.html

While I agree the feature shouldn't have been removed, it was also completely useless for indicating anything like backdoors. The best it could do is tell you something was talking on the network and if you weren't doing anything that required a network connection, you would then have to investigate with other tools to figure out exactly what program was talking and to what.

As far as performance goes, Windows 8.1 outperforms 7 greatly. People keep bitching about the missing start menu and avoiding it like the plague, but they're missing out on some really nice performance increases. The whole OS feels much snappier on the same hardware vs Windows 7.

I agree with the philosophy of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and could understand not wanting to upgrade, but the fact of the matter is, XP *is* broke and newer versions of Windows fix it.

Back when XP came out, everyone hated it... it was a dog compared to 2000, but we were eventually forced to use it for the application / game support it offered. After a while, we learned to beat it into submission and updates and service packs made it more tolerable, but it's still a piece of shit compared to 7/8.1.

I'm not saying 7 / 8.1 are perfect, but they're better than XP for sure.
  • ampharos wrote:
    Yeah, except that Celeron is better off running 98 or 2000, and my Core 2 and i5 are better off running 8.1. Even then, 7 is sprightly on my P3.

That's not the point. The Celeron is not my main rig, but I've made mention of it in the example to the intent that you may understand that WinXP, as stable and powerful as it is (once you have performed the necessary tweaks and modifications, and even without doing so, if the install's still fresh and not polluted), remains so light it will run fast on that older piece of hardware, as opposed to this mammon of sluggishness that you claim runs sprightly on your P3, a claim you couldn't possibly utter with a straight face even if your life depended on it.
    ampharos wrote:
    YIf you're actually concerned about things phoning home, you're better off actually looking for it, as the network icon would blink for trivial events like IM/SSH/omgwtfbbq clients, network participation, and such

You'd do foolishly to trust a mere icon for your security. I have firewalled and wiresharked this thing shut and not a single bit leaves or enters this computer without me knowing about it.
    ampharos wrote:
    Even then, why would they make it obvious and detectable, and hide it in something like a rootkit? If you're that concerned, why are you running proprietary software in the first place?

I'm not concerned, it's all under control. However, open source, non-proprietary software is theoretically safer only if you can corroborate it so by studying the thousands of lines of code yourself (or trusting someone else to do it, which again, it's all a matter of trust), and I don't have time for that, so I choose to trust WinXP, based on my own experience, after having used it and abused it for 14 years now.
    ampharos wrote:
    XP was shit then, and it'll always be shit. Newer Windows do everything XP does, better. Simple as that.

Yeah right :lol:
  • BlueSun wrote:
    InsertDisk wrote:

Um... no.

By default, Vista disables the activity lights on the network icon, but the network icon is still there and you can easily re-enable the activity lights by simply right clicking on the icon and clicking on "Turn on activity animation"

It's worth noting that this feature was introduced with Windows 2000 (I don't believe ME had it, but I could be wrong) and disabled by default with XP as well. So you really only had like 3 versions of Windows that even had this feature and only 1 that had it on by default and even then I'm not sure it was enabled by default with 2000.

It was available in WinME as well.
    BlueSun wrote:
    Windows 7 was the first to switch it to a static icon, but you can easily re-add the functionality with third party applications like this: http://www.itsamples.com/network-activi ... cator.html

Yep, that must have been it. Guess I had it mixed up with Vista.
    BlueSun wrote:
    While I agree the feature shouldn't have been removed, it was also completely useless for indicating anything like backdoors. The best it could do is tell you something was talking on the network and if you weren't doing anything that required a network connection, you would then have to investigate with other tools to figure out exactly what program was talking and to what

Correct, but I don't think anybody in his right mind would trust this feature alone for anything other than what you yourself have described. It's merely a handy indicator, but it was sufficient to raise some red flags, so they did away with it.
    BlueSun wrote:
    As far as performance goes, Windows 8.1 outperforms 7 greatly. People keep bitching about the missing start menu and avoiding it like the plague, but they're missing out on some really nice performance increases. The whole OS feels much snappier on the same hardware vs Windows 7

I'd have to agree on the performance part, provided it's a modern computer. As for the menus, I couldn't even stand the looks and layout of the post-XP start menus anyways.
    BlueSun wrote:
    I agree with the philosophy of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and could understand not wanting to upgrade, but the fact of the matter is, XP *is* broke and newer versions of Windows fix it.

I don't personally believe that would classify as an upgrade. The truth is, I leave everything to third party applications and the OS is there just as a platform, to provide the file system, the api and the gui, and that's about as much of it as I have use for.

Also XP allows me to have full control of what goes on behind the curtains, and can hide nothing from me, so if a useless service has to die, it dies. Newer Microsoft OS', on the other hand, make a lot of uneducated decisions and compromises that affect performance, specially on my single core computer which greatly benefits from being able to assign the 100% of the available speed to a single yet demanding application, and the CPU usage here is a perfect, round 0% when nothing's running (try that on Win7, even Win8, and see how well it goes)
    BlueSun wrote:
    Back when XP came out, everyone hated it... it was a dog compared to 2000, but we were eventually forced to use it for the application / game support it offered. After a while, we learned to beat it into submission and updates and service packs made it more tolerable, but it's still a piece of shit compared to 7/8.1.

It was all over with after SP1. That's the upgrade that made WinXP not only usable, but enjoyable for me, and I have not looked back ever since.
    BlueSun wrote:
    I'm not saying 7 / 8.1 are perfect, but they're better than XP for sure.

Let's just agree to disagree there :)
  • Let me tap in real quick. About all versions of Windows suck to a degree. If I had it my way I would run every system in my household with Linux but since my family are not computer savy and some games I like are not ported to Linux yet im stuck with Windows.
  • Personally I wouldn't touch Linux with a 100 foot pole, but I'm very much pleased with OpenBSD. Only it had a strong, mature, multimedia-oriented API like XP's, that would be perfect, for at the end of the day, that truly is what's hindering most of the world from making the switch.

I also happen to agree with you, as there has not been a Windows version that wasn't bad to some degree or another, but I do certainly miss the freshness of Win31. As bad as it was, there's something to it that's just enchanting...
  • Most of the world doesn't give a shit what OS they run, nor do they replace it. If they do, it's because they buy new machines.
  • Obviously. If you don't care, well, you don't care, but if you do care, then that's the reason.
  • InsertDisk wrote:
    but I'm very much pleased with OpenBSD. Only it had a strong, mature, multimedia-oriented API like XP's, that would be perfect, for at the end of the day, that truly is what's hindering most of the world from making the switch.

I think if you value security as much as you do, then a lack of these multimedia-oriented APIs shouldn't matter.
  • I download a restore cd of win xp for my hp desktop that was given to me and someone put service pack 3 on it with ton of crap. You couldn't uncheck anything to not have it install. It took like 2 hours just install windows. Then after installing it. It took me 45 minutes to uninstall the stuff. I ended up ordering the restore cd from a online store. It work with all my hp and compaq computers. I never download a reload cd from any site like that i just buy it from a online store.
  • ampharos wrote:
    Really? XP was terrible when it was new, terrible in its prime, and terrible now. I remember the wormfests in 2004. Incredibly insecure when it came out, stil is, and also slow compared to newer/older Windows. You have no reason to not run Windows 7 at least, and for anything vintage, just run a suitable "vintage" Windows.
    Well I have a Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2. It has a Intel Celeron Processor with 256 MegaBytes of RAM, Runs perfectly fine. It has Blue Screen Of Deathed One Time since 2005. It takes around 15 secconds to boot. It runs 3D Pinball perfectly well. It runs 3D quite well, but trouble playing youtube and netflex. It runs luna quite well, and Classic like a beast. Then my sister bought a Windows 7 Laptop a 1.5Ghz Intel Something I dont know exactly. It is home edition or whatever. It has no extra programs or anything. It has a 20GB hard drive and 1GB of RAM. (DDR3) It is so slow I had to turn off the Aero theme, and put on Classic. Even with Classic, about 4 minute bootup. If ampharos thinks it is really better why don't you try out this laptop. I like the Aero theme and Like Vista and 7 becuase I have a really good PC (5GB RAM) running Windows Vista and a Windows 7 VM. They run quite well but on low-end computers they are really bad. I use vista and 7 for everyday use I like them better than XP. But still XP is very good and I have many computers and VMs running XP. I don't use them for gaming, but if I need to write a report I'll use a XP Laptop or something. But XP is very good and yes it was a flop in the beginning because of 64-Bit support but now and in it's "Prime" it is very good. Also the Luna theme that comes with it is also very good and not resource heavy like Aero.
  • It's actually better to use Aero instead of classic so the work of rendering the UI can be offloaded to the GPU instead of the CPU. Unless you have shitty integrated graphics, in which case, then it doesn't really help.

My Windows 8.1 machine boots in like 5-10 seconds, has never BSOD'd and handles pretty much everything I ever did on XP.

You really shouldn't run 7 on such low specs, but 8.1 would definitely run better than 7 on that hardware.