VMware license error

edited February 2015 in Software
(link to relevant WinWorld files)

Today, I installed VMware 1.0-294 on Windows NT4 Workstation (SP6a) and VMware 1.0.1-372 on Windows 2000 Professional (SP4). Both VMware versions gave me a license error on launch:
3ox.bmp

There were no prompts for a license key during both installations. The programs only let me create virtual machines, but not boot them.

Assistance is greatly appreciated. In the meantime, I will be trying VirtualBox 1.6.6 on Windows 2000, and old Virtual PC versions.

Comments

• I extracted 294's setup with 7zip and have been poking the setup files but nothing seems to point towards how to provide a license. I'm wondering if there is supposed to be a specific license file present in program files.

Update:
    Just looked at the EULA:
    2. Grant of Non-Exclusive License.
    A software license key ("Software License Key") issued to a designated
    user only by VMware or its authorized agents is required for each user
    of the Software Product. This Software License Key enables a designated
    user to use the Software Product on a single computer system. Each user
    on a multi-user computer system who uses VMware requires an additional
    license, and associated Software License Key, for Software Product.

So there could perhaps be a physical file its looking for in the user profile...

Update 2:
    Its a registry file that they provide via email, I found a .90 beta one here that reports expired in our builds
    http://marc.info/?l=cypherpunks&m=95280154628299

and a newer 2.0 here
    http://www.cfht.hawaii.edu/Science/mswg ... 00295.html

But that'll at least give us more pieces of the puzzle.

If I set my system clock back before the expiration date on the .90 beta license it doesn't nag and I suppose I move onto the next issue:
    *** VMware internal monitor error ***

NullGate on IRQ. gate=0xd1

It also complained about the cpu in use (2.26Ghz Pentium M) and this error may or may not be related. Will probably have to switch to older hardware to test if this expired beta license will work.