Longhorn 6.0.4093 setup error

edited March 2015 in Software
Hello everyone,

Above all, sorry for my English! :(

Well I'm so fascinated by abandoned Windows projects thus I searched Longhorn ISOs on the Internet. And I came accross this website where I found the last Longhorn build (6.0.4093). :)

Then I tried to install it on VirtualBox but at one point it shows an issue message reading "some files are needed" or something like that... It asks me to browse manually these files in Windows XP Professional CD :? So I guess it comes from a corrupt file problem? But I attempted to download the ISO twice, and the same issue occurs again.

I even try to browse my XP Professional CD through the issue window, but doesn't seem to find anything.

Likewise the screen displays in 8-bit or 16-bit colors and it looks really unreadable...

I'm looking forward to receiving your opinion,

Thanks! :D

Comments

• This is most likely a bug with VirtualBox. Virtualbox has never been particularly stable (in my experience), and I rarely ever use it.

I would recommend trying VMware Player. Its free.

I've used many betas of Longhorn, and the only time I've ever had an issue was on VirtualBox.
  • I'm using VMware Workstation 11.0.0 and get a similar error:
    ubi6.png

It then goes ahead to undo the installation after pressing OK.
  • Interesting. Never had that issue. Is it possible someone replaced it (Longhorn) with a corrupted version without knowing it was corrupted?
  • Thanks to reply :)

Too bad, I was eager to try it out. Well I'll download VMware Player and see if it goes better!

Otherwise I read about Longhorn'08, an old project, but I never managed to find a download link. I suppose it's illegal?
  • The build 4093 is bootlegged anyway, as the original wasn't designed to be bootable, so this image was injected with something like a PE.

Although unless it breaks installation it shouldn't be the problem.

However, try this, it should work:
    Install an earlier build of Longhorn. I used 4029.
    Run upgrade from the CD.
  • Ok I see. This explains why somebody injected a welcoming .bat at the begining of the installation :P

I don't understand what "PE" means :/ even after googled it.
  • PE is short for "Preinstallation Environment"

In short, it's a minimalistic Windows install bootable from CD.
  • Allright! I don't know why I didn't think to it earlier. :)

Nevermind, thanks for all that information. I downloaded VMware Player and installed XP (first OS CD I found) to try it out. The soft is more friendly than VirtualBox!

Well, I'll test with Longhorn when I have time :)
  • I'm testing my copy of the iso now, VMware 11, Vista 32-bit VM profile, SCSI HDD, IDE CDROM. It did have a message looking for compbatt.sys which was hidden behind the progress counter, I was able to point it to the copy already installed in c:\windows\system32\drivers and it moved onward, currently doing a lot of .net compiling in the background (but it completed the phase you guys seem to be hung up on.

Downloading the current copy to test and see if its gotten corrupt since I downloaded mine.

Better yet, check your own downloads, do you get a sha value of 0A4C0AA0C56F030174C51AFF7F23F8AA65FE29F9
  • Hey, it's exactly the same issue I was to face, I didn't have theotherosproject's one.

Actually the installer try to find a file already copied? So strange oO (or perhaps my bad English makes me understand wrong things).

Download page of the site shows the value you wrote. This is what you was talking about?

Excuse my poor language again.
  • Yes, you need to use a program such as HashTab to calculate the SHA value of the file you have downloaded, and make sure it matches the value displayed by the download page.
  • Okey, I installed HashTab and it reads the same value ;)
  • Then at least nothing is corrupt with the download.

All I can suggest is do what I did, when it asks for the file, point it to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers and the file its looking for is oddly enough already there...
  • I'd like to point out that VMware Workstation 11.0.0 caused me other problems. If anything, I'll try this again on 10.0.1 instead.
  • Ok guys, I'll follow your advices. :)

I will post what it gives when I try out!
  • Hey guys :) I didn't manage to install that built eventually. So I followed Kirby's instruction, installing a previous one and running upgrade. Everything's allright!

Thanks