Adware on OS X

edited February 2015 in Software
http://www.howtogeek.com/210589/mac-os- ... has-begun/
OS X users like to make fun of Windows users as the only ones that have a malware problem. But that’s simply not true anymore, and the problem has increased dramatically in the last few months. Join us as we expose the truth about what’s really going on, and hopefully warn people about the impending doom.

Since it is actually Unix under the hood, OS X has some native protection against the worst types of viruses. But the problem these days isn’t viruses that completely break your computer, it’s spyware, crapware, and adware that sneaks onto your computer, hijacks your browser, inserts ads, and tracks what you are looking at. And much of it is legal, because you get tricked into clicking the wrong thing during an installer.

And now download sites, fake ads for software on search engines, and sketchy applications are bundling adware and crapware into installers for legitimate software. You can’t just assume you are safe anymore because you’re on OS X. You need to be careful what you download, and what you click.

Comments

• It's been around since Lion. Reason being is OSX isn't as unix like as it use to be. Apple has watered it down way to much with their own software.
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    Reason being is OSX isn't as unix like as it use to be.

How so? All of the new iOS style things they have brought over have had no effect on the UNIX-ness of the OS. As far as I know there's been no substantial *nix functionality/tools removed (except for GCC in favor of clang/LLVM) from the OS.
  • stitch wrote:
    As far as I know there's been no substantial *nix functionality/tools removed (except for GCC in favor of clang/LLVM) from the OS.

Was that done in line with FreeBSD or vice versa, or just co-incidental?
  • BOD wrote:
    stitch wrote:
    As far as I know there's been no substantial *nix functionality/tools removed (except for GCC in favor of clang/LLVM) from the OS.

Was that done in line with FreeBSD or vice versa, or just co-incidental?

Apple started it; the FreeBSD team moved to Clang/LLVM at version 10 IIRC.
  • Just from some articles I have seen in the past that apple tries to leave the basics but put their software over it to make things easier for the user but end up with holes in the code so adware/malware can bypass and cause havoc.