Windows 95 CD-ROM problem

edited March 2015 in Software
First of all, I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this. I'm new here and I couldn't find any topics or help on this matter.

I just downloaded the Windows 95 OSR2 (English) ISO image and began installing it with VMware Player. It was going great until the point where it asked my to "insert the disk labeled 'Windows 95 CD-ROM'. I'm very confused as there was only 1 ISO image in the download. If I simply press OK in the dialog, the installation tells me a TON of files are missing. I'm assuming those were supposed to be on the CD-ROM (which I don't seem to have). What am I supposed to do? I don't want a broken installation.

Thanks for reading and I am grateful for this helpful software and OS archive.

Comments

• When i install 95 in a vm i copy the setup files over to the hard drive then run setup from there seems to stop issues like this.

• I have seen this thread but I didn't finish reading it because his installation process was completely different. I read the whole thing this time, but his solution is to ignore the missing files? Is there no way to actually do this properly?

Thanks for replying. :)
  • Copy the files from the cd to the hard drive then start setup from the hard drive always works best.
  • The Windows 95 setup assumes you are either upgrading an existing, fully functional, MS-DOS/Windows 3.1 install or that your are an OEM that already has everything pre-loaded.

As such, if you run the setup from the CD-ROM using just a boot disk, it may fall on it's face during the second stage because it can no longer find the CD-ROM drive.

The simple way around that is to just copy the files from the CD-ROM setup folder to a folder on the hard drive. On real hardware that would also go insanely faster.
  • Thanks for the help everyone, I think I got it. Very helpful community :)
  • Just so you know it's the directory/folder labeled Win95 is all that is needed from the CD.
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    Just so you know it's the directory/folder labeled Win95 is all that is needed from the CD.

Oh, I was wondering what to copy. Thanks again haha.