Linspire 4.5 to USB Issues

edited April 2015 in Software
I've recently been digging around in the spooky world of dead Operating Systems, and one of the most prominent ones happens to be Lindows/Linspire. I downloaded the Live and OEM copies of 4.5 off the archive and both worked perfectly in a VM, and afterwards I decided to try and run it on my netbook, which has no optical drive. I tried using pendrivelinux, but there is no support for lindows there, and trying an unlisted linux distro copied the files, but they were not bootable.
Can anyone help me? I really want to put Linspire 4.5 on my flash drive, Live or OEM, it doesn't matter.

Comments

• Have you tried using UNetbootin? You can choose from the list of distro's or choose your own ISO image, and it will create a bootable usb drive for you.
  • I agree, UNetbootin should do the job.
  • I've never had UNetbootin work properly. It might generate an image that boots, but has problems attempting to do anything. When I made Debian images, the installer couldn't find packages.

Linspire is pre-popularity of USB boot (so if you try it on modern hardware, have fun with nothing working!) and likely chock full of quirks, so don't expect it to work.
  • I decided to try it and see if it would work. UNetbootin did boot but the kernal froze when attempting to boot.
    Edit: I been digging around the internet and found this, hope this helps.
  • You know what, I've been using it for a while now, and I see it is very unstable; I don't believe I want to install it as a main OS. I do however believe that, had Microsoft not shut them down, Linspire could have become a great OS. It had lots of insight, with features now used today by companies like Apple, with their My Linspire backing up your programs and the CNR easily installing programs. I feel like, today, Linspire could have overthrown both Microsoft and Apple as the most widely used OS on computers.
  • UNetbootin uses Syslinux as it's boot loader. UNetbootin will use the latest version on hand and some times older distros don't like it so after creating the bootable jump drive you have to downgrade Syslinux.
  • You know what, I've been using it for a while now, and I see it is very unstable; I don't believe I want to install it as a main OS. I do however believe that, had Microsoft not shut them down, Linspire could have become a great OS. It had lots of insight, with features now used today by companies like Apple, with their My Linspire backing up your programs and the CNR easily installing programs. I feel like, today, Linspire could have overthrown both Microsoft and Apple as the most widely used OS on computers.

I doubt it. Ubuntu hasn't succeeded and they've been trying just as hard.
  • Yes, but they are beginning to make it into the mainstream market; Dell laptops are being shipped with Ubuntu 14.04.
  • Business laptops are a bit far from mainstream market (and linux is no new to the business world), but the chance to save $100 is always a great deal.
  • It's been the year of the Linux desktop since before some users here were born.
  • BOD wrote:
    It's been the year of the Linux desktop since before some users here were born.

Exactly.

Linux has come a long way, sure. But it's still far, far from being mainstream when it comes to regular desktops and laptops.
    tatte wrote:
    Business laptops are a bit far from mainstream market (and linux is no new to the business world), but the chance to save $100 is always a great deal.

Businesses won't touch it... they'll barely touch modern versions of Windows let alone an alternative. Apple has a better chance of succeeding in the business world than Linux does.
  • BlueSun wrote:
    Businesses won't touch it... they'll barely touch modern versions of Windows let alone an alternative. Apple has a better chance of succeeding in the business world than Linux does.
    Eh. Not all companies are stuck with some ancient software that ties them to some old Windows, and that's what it comes down to: software. (Well, I don't blame anyone for not wanting to waste money on Windows 8. But that's a... special... case.) If it suits their needs they do touch it, regardless of what it is.

Even commercial desktop linux is a thing. I suppose success depends on how you define it.
  • tatte wrote:
    BlueSun wrote:
    Eh. Not all companies are stuck with some ancient software that ties them to some old Windows, and that's what it comes down to: software. (Well, I don't blame anyone for not wanting to waste money on Windows 8. But that's a... special... case.) If it suits their needs they do touch it, regardless of what it is.

Even in cases where their software will run on newer versions of Windows, they still complain massively about it because it looks different.

Users can get lost so easily. Just changing the look of an icon or moving it slightly will confuse the shit out of them. It's really scary how many of these people have absolutely no clue how to use computers and yet they're responsible for things like health care, finances, payment processing, etc.

I'm not alone in having to deal with these people. Just have a gander at https://www.reddit.com/r/talesfromtechsupport/